Blight Question

• 5 Replies

Bricktop

Blight Question
« on: October 20, 2021, 13:10 »
I lost all my outdoor tomato plants this year to Blight. It also got into my greenhouse and I have taken out all indoor plants.

I have cut up all diseased plants and they went in our garden recycling bin.

Is blight only an "airborne" disease or will it lurk in the soil outside and inside my greenhouse ?.

Thanks in advance

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Blight Question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 13:42 »
Until the past year or so, the conventional wisdom was that blight can only survive on living plant tissue. so it was considered safe to compost blight-affected plants remains.

The situation in the UK is not quite as certain now, according to the RHS:

The presence of new blight strains in the UK means that the pathogen now has the potential to produce resting spores (oospores) in the affected plant tissues. The oospores are released from the rotting tissues to contaminate the soil. These resting spores have yet to be found in the UK, but analysis of the recent variations occurring in blight strains in some parts of the UK suggests that they could be being produced. Little is currently known about their survival and their potential as a source of the disease, but investigations are continuing and more information is likely to become available over the next few years. However, because oospores are resilient structures, if they are produced in infected foliage it is quite possible that they will survive many home garden composting systems. This is why it is preferable to dispose of waste from blighted crops in other ways. Municipal and commercial composting systems reach the very high temperatures necessary to kill oospores and other resilient pathogen propagules.

(Full article: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=217)

The risk of blight persisting in your soil, either outside or inside is therefore still very low at the moment - the main precaution I take is to bin rather than compost the remains of my tomatoes and potatoes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Bricktop

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 15:29 »
JayG,

Many thanks for your advice.

I have dug up all roots and binned all plants in my Garden rubbish bin.

I will not plant outside tomato plants in same place as this year and I always rotate tomato and cue plants each year in my greenhouse.

Thanks again and fingers crossed.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 20:41 »
I wonder about this too. I have wiped all my bamboo canes down with Jeyes fluid, can’t be too careful.

Bricktop

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 22:51 »
That's a very good idea as some of my outside canes have black stains on them (due to diseased tomato plants) and I'll follow your advice

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 18:22 »
Until the past year or so, the conventional wisdom was that blight can only survive on living plant tissue. so it was considered safe to compost blight-affected plants remains.

The situation in the UK is not quite as certain now, according to the RHS:

" ...This is why it is preferable to dispose of waste from blighted crops in other ways. Municipal and commercial composting systems reach the very high temperatures necessary to kill oospores and other resilient pathogen propagules."

(Full article: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=217)

The risk of blight persisting in your soil, either outside or inside is therefore still very low at the moment - the main precaution I take is to bin rather than compost the remains of my tomatoes and potatoes.

I agree.  I do remove and send my tomato haulms to our municipal compost, which is high temperature.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Sorry- Tom blight question again

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 17:48
by Oliveview
xx
Blight question - greenhouse

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 12:57
by Aidy
xx
Idiot blight question

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 17:04
by surbie100
xx
Potato blight question

Started by SocksOn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 21:54
by SocksOn

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 46 queries.