Building up!

• 6 Replies

Chuckles

Building up!
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:19 »
Hi all,  I've just taken delivery of 8 new house mates this weekend who we're no longer wanted by their previous owner, I have 7 warrens and 1 still to be identified!  My problem is that they have all arrived very underweight, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on getting some meat on their bones????

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Building up!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36 »
Hi Chuckles,
If they are laying it will be best to have them on layers pellets.  If the are exbatts and used to layers crumb you can always crush some pellets to save on buying crumb.

If they are not laying you can put them on growers pellets/crumb which will build them up.  If you have 2 or 3 feeders and the same amount of drinkers this will help to stop any bullying over food/water. 

You can also mix some layers pellets with boiled water, let it cool to luke warm and serve to them in several containers.  They will all get a share and they benefit from food and water all in one.  They always seem to see this as a treat so it will be gone in no time.

Good luck with your new girls.  Look forward to seeing some photos.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Chuckles

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 13:20 »
Their previous owner said they were all laying and they all seem to be doing ok, 4 eggs the 1st day, then 4 eggs yesterday. 

They were all on layer pellets before so I've no problem with them eating pellets and they are all used to being together too so no bullying thankfully.

I just don't think they had all day access to food and water before...they do now!  Hopefully it'll just be a matter of time eating and drinking properly to get them back to a good weight...fingers crossed!

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 14:17 »
That could be the case.  You can find that free range hens are some times lighter but are still healthy which is the main thing.

Chuckles

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 16:54 »
I hope so...I'm keeping a close eye on them, a couple of them had mucky bums and runny poo's (sorry!), but other than being a bit on the skinny side look healthy enough!

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 17:26 »
Probably best to worm them with flubenvet which can be added to their feed or Marriages does layers pellets with it already added.

Luke warm bath for the mucky bums, towel dry and hairdryer on warm/cool setting will do the trick.   :)

Chuckles

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 21:21 »
My other girls are due to be wormed too....so they'll all be having flubenvet added to their feed! They seem to have been having a good ole preen, the couple with mucky bums aren't so mucky now so I'll put the bath on hold for a while!   ::)

Thanks for your advice! :D

xx
Building my 1st run

Started by Andrew4613 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 01:29
by Lindeggs
xx
Building a Hen House

Started by ---Snakey--- on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:08
by andreadon
xx
building a new bantam home!!

Started by RigsVilleBird on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 08:07
by RigsVilleBird
xx
Building a coop, a little help needed please.

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 13:05
by andreadon

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 28 queries.