Cooking Ham What I'am I doing wrong ????

• 21 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Cooking Ham What I'am I doing wrong ????
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 08:26 »
Parsnip, that took me right back to my childhood YUM.  That and Dublin coddle. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Parsnip

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:55 »
I wouldn't thankyou for that type of food when I was little, I absolutely love it now.. 8)

madcat

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 12:31 »
Parsley sauce for my mam ...

And the ham water would get a chopped onion and a chopped spud or two, chopped celery if around and some soaked marrowfat peas. Back on to simmer until the peas are soft, add the scraps of bacon left after dinner, good stir .... pea and ham soup to fill hungry tummies the following lunchtime.  Dutch Enwtensoep meets Irish frugality! ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

lacewing

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:10 »
This is a Nigella Lawson recipe that I have cooked many times.  In a large saucepan place a 2kg Joint of gammon and pour in a 2 lt. bottle of Coco Cola, 1 onion, 1 bay leaf, and 6  black peppercorns, bring to the boil and simmer for just under two and a half hours. Remove from the pot (keep liquid it makes great black bean soup) leave to cool for 10mins. remove the skin and score the fat criss- cross to make a diamond pattern, place a clove in each diamond, disolve 2 tablespoons of black treacle and  brush this over the fat, taking care not to disturbe the cloves, now mix 1 tablespoon of mustard powder and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and sprinkle this over the treacle and pat down to firm, place in a hot oven for 10-15mins until the glaze is bubbling, remove from the oven, leave to go cold and enjoy.  Delicious!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:43 by lacewing »
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 15:18 »
just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, now I know why my ham was tough as old boots, I cooked some yesterday to make pea & ham soup and simmered it soooo slowly,  it was lovely and tender and delicious, cheers

RebeccaM

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 20:21 »
Success !!!     I fianllly managed to cook ham well, cooked it very slowly, water just shivering,  thanks for all the advice I am now enjoying my ham and mustard sarnies everyday.  cheers

Parsnip

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 10:52 »
This is a Nigella Lawson recipe that I have cooked many times.  In a large saucepan place a 2kg Joint of gammon and pour in a 2 lt. bottle of Coco Cola, 1 onion, 1 bay leaf, and 6  black peppercorns, bring to the boil and simmer for just under two and a half hours. Remove from the pot (keep liquid it makes great black bean soup) leave to cool for 10mins. remove the skin and score the fat criss- cross to make a diamond pattern, place a clove in each diamond, disolve 2 tablespoons of black treacle and  brush this over the fat, taking care not to disturbe the cloves, now mix 1 tablespoon of mustard powder and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and sprinkle this over the treacle and pat down to firm, place in a hot oven for 10-15mins until the glaze is bubbling, remove from the oven, leave to go cold and enjoy.  Delicious!!

Nigella is just brilliant isn't she?!!! I love this recipe although hubby is not keen on the glaze...the sweetcorn pudding to go with it, whilst being very naughty, it is to die for...definitely one for a special occassion :(

Have you tried her sticky toffee pudding recipe aswell....aaaaw man :happy: :lol:

xx
cooking books

Started by shaun on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post November 23, 2006, 12:25
by Jake
xx
cooking with apples

Started by rhysdad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:25
by Trillium
xx
Cooking corn on the cob.

Started by Goosegirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2023, 21:15
by Snow
xx
Cooking with mint

Started by gardengnome on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 11:12
by fisher

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.