Sunflower crisis

• 4 Replies

micou

Sunflower crisis
« on: June 04, 2016, 18:18 »
Two days ago, the sunflowers were doing fine. Yesterday I went out, unzipped the blowaway and they looked like this  :(

Any ideas? There's two separate sorts there, so I assume it's not varietal. No visible bugs and all the other plants are fine.

It was cold on Thursday night but no colder than it has been on several occasions in the last couple of weeks (this is Orkney  ::)), and they were inside and zipped up for the night as always.

The only thing I can think of is that their last watering had some all-purpose plant and flower food in in it. Do sunflowers not like it?
DSC_1975.jpg

snowdrops

Re: Sunflower crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 19:43 »
Looks like they might have got too hot, did you unzip it in the day? Was it a warm sunny day, it can get incredibly hot in those blowaways & then the plants can't take up water as they are stressed
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

micou

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 19:57 »
It's normally opened every day until at least 8 or 9pm. I was away on Friday so can't guarantee when it was opened, but it was definitely open when I got home at 4. It was a lovely day, though - maybe that's it.

Do they recover?

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 20:31 »
Once it's cooled down they should be able to take up some water, this is for plants in general not just sunflowers. Sometimes a small space is more difficult to keep cool than to keep warm. Hope they pick up but you could always sow more if you have seed

micou

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 08:44 »
Thanks for the advice. Normally keeping cool in Orkney poses no problems at all, to be honest  :)

They've had water and were in a cool sunny spot all day yesterday - they're not looking any better this morning but here's hoping...

xx
Seed identity crisis

Started by rictic on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 08:30
by compostqueen
xx
Peach Tree crisis

Started by Bombers on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 15:24
by Trillium
xx
Sunflower

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2024, 15:21
by Subversive_plot
smiley
Sunflower

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 07:32
by sloegin

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.