Dehydrator models

• 21 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Dehydrator models
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:14 »
I seem to have about 100 oyster mushrooms coming up in my mushroom box and I don't want to waste any, so this seems as good a time as any to buy the dehydrator I was planning for this year. When I looked on the Westfalia site, I noticed that they have a model for £50 that seems to have more control over temperature than the most basic model, though the description isn't terribly helpful. Is it worth paying a bit more for that temperature control or not?

And incidentally - if anyone uses Quidco for online shopping discounts, I spotted they do have Westfalia listed and that gives you another 3% discount.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Dehydrator models
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 20:29 »
I don't use the brand you are looking at Shokkyy but would say temperature control is worth paying for as different things dry better at different temperatures : herbs 30-40 degrees C, veg 50, fruit 55 and if you want to try jerky or billtong 60.

I don't do the meat, but home dried herbs are something I always do - mint is a sensation done at home - plus loads of veg and fruit  :)

Well done on the mushrooms  8)  I have never had that much luck with the kits but you've done really well there  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 21:48 »
I think there's a thread hereabouts on this subject, and many here, including me, have the Westfalia  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 00:03 »
Well done on the mushrooms  8)  I have never had that much luck with the kits but you've done really well there  :D

No, I've never had any luck with kits before either. But the supplier I got this one from is very different from the kits you buy in shops. He sells fresh spawn, which you can either buy alone at very low cost, or if you want to you can buy a box kit. If you do that, the box kit does not have the spawn in it, which I think is why the shop kits don't work. He sends the spawn separately, and when you get the box you sterilise/soak the growing medium and then mix the spawn into it, so the spawn is always fresh and unspoilt. Apparently it's very temperature sensitive so it wouldn't be likely to survive well sitting on shop shelves. I got the box to try it out, and now I understand the method I'll just get the spawn next time. He also sells some varieties that should grow outdoors in the UK, and I'm going to try some of that in my garden.

I think there's a thread hereabouts on this subject, and many here, including me, have the Westfalia  :)

Yes, but they now have more than one model of Westfalia dehydrator on the site. They've got the basic model, which retails at about £35, and they also have a model retailing at £50 which has temperature control. I would like to do herbs, fruit and veg, so it looks like the model with temp control would be the best one to get.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:43 »
Which supplier did you use for your oyster mushrooms Shokkyy.  I might just have another go  ;)  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:01 »
His website is www.mushroombox.co.uk, but he also sells the same stuff on ebay trading under the id epogee, and it's cheaper there. The website is worth a look as there's lots of good info about growing mushrooms on there.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:43 »
I do herbs in mine. They dehydrate fast to you have to keep an eye on them

Did loads of chillies in mine this year and turned some into cayenne pepper.  I want to try kale leaves this year as they're said to be really tasty snacks

Not made fruit leather yet but plan to.  There are recipes with mine for drying meat etc for folks who go camping, hiking and biking etc

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 13:11 »
I am keen to do lots of herbs, which I have tried in both oven and microwave but was never happy with the results. I'm also keen to try it for some of the crops that don't freeze too well, like courgette, aubergine, cucumber, as well as mushrooms. I did watch one video on youtube that said you could use them for all the green veggie and root crops as well, so that would be fun to try. I'm curious to know how well the fruit and veggies come back when they're rehydrated, but I guess I'll just have to try it and see. But if the results are good, it does seem a very good option for preserving your crops.

I'll have to get myself a copy of the Mary Bell book so I can read up on all the techniques.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 15:37 »
I dried my own bay leaves and the smell as they dried was lovely. Pleased with the results and gave away three jars as Christmas gifts.  I've been using them in my cooking an am very pleased that they were successful

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 16:31 »
What jars do you use to store them in? I don't really want to re-use old shop herb jars because the lids are plastic and therefore surely will retain some smell from the old contents, and they don't really hold very much.

Another thing I want to try is lavender, because I adore the smell of lavender in the house and I've got a few bushes in the garden. It would make wonderful pot pourri if it was properly dried.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 21:36 »
Thanks for the link for the mushrooms Shokkyy  :)

I want to try kale leaves this year as they're said to be really tasty snacks

I saw these on the Hugh FW veg series and found this http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/09/kale-crisps.html

The raw diet is a bit out there for me but am going to try these crisps.  145 degrees F is 60 degrees C and 115 degrees F is 45 degrees C

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 23:44 »
I put mine into jars that I'd washed in the dishwasher. I save most screw top jars  :D

I saw that Hugh Fernly thing which is what inspired me to try the kale. There were elements in the raw food menu which sounded very tasty. I don't think I could live on raw food though as I like hot stuff, specially this weather  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 00:52 »
I don't think I could live without pot roast beef in red wine, nor beef bourgignon. There's just something about the combination of red meat and red wine that makes my mouth water :)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:13 »
White wine is quite good with red meat too (in the pot I mean)  In spag bol I actually prefer it

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49 »
Do these dehydrators cost much to run? Just wondering, as they have to be on so long to do the job.  :)

xx
Dehydrator

Started by big green bloke on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 18:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
dehydrator

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 20:10
by birmancats
xx
Callow dehydrator. Help!

Started by Mositt on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 11:38
by Madame Cholet
xx
Anyone used Wolf dehydrator?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 20:59
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 34 queries.