Carrots and parsnips

• 9 Replies

Scribbler

Carrots and parsnips
« on: June 08, 2010, 15:38 »
I'm (rather belatedly) going to thin these out this weekend to give them some more room. As I've got some rather large gaps, can I poke a hole in the soil with a pencil and fill in with the ones i take out? Have people done this before?

While I'm on, I've got some physalis grown from seed. They need potting on. Any tips? Hanging basket? Flowerpot? Growbag compost? 
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Carrots and parsnips
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 15:41 »
I don't think its a good idea on the whole, but if you have space that your not using then pop them in, the worst you could do is grow compost!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 16:37 »
As long as you don't plant physalis in the open ground, you should be ok in anything in a container as they are very invasive!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 16:43 »
It isn't usually recommended and I've only transplanted parsnip thinnings but if you do it carefully they barely notice and grow just as well as those left in situ.

Just ease them out of watered soil and drop them into a hole deep enough to take the whole root without having to curl it, gently firm and water again (it does help if your soil is light like mine.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 17:15 »
I grow my parsnip in toilet rolls and when the seed leaves emerge the root can sometimes be seen at the bottom of the tube. If you have the true leaves showing then possibly the root will be 6" long and I cannot see how you could move that without snapping off the root tip.
With regards to the gaps I would re seed with carrot (too late for parsnip) I have had very poor germination with some beds and re-sown with main crop carrot. In my case the 'gaps' have been the odd carrot!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 17:45 »
I grow my parsnip in toilet rolls and when the seed leaves emerge the root can sometimes be seen at the bottom of the tube. If you have the true leaves showing then possibly the root will be 6" long and I cannot see how you could move that without snapping off the root tip.

You use a 7" trowel!!  :nowink:

rock_chick

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 19:12 »
I've planted my parsnip thinnings into gaps in my rows without any problems, and some of them had their true leaves. Just because it isn't recommended, doesn't mean you can't. Have a go and see what happens - gardening often requires experimentation!
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 19:48 »
I am going to thin and transplant my parsnips this week as per JayG's advice. Dont see what I've got to lose really.  ::)
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:05 »
I was given a tray of parsnip seedlings last year because my seeds failed. Ended up with mini aliens, all gnarled and twisted they were; edible, but not very easy to prepare for the freezer! The ones I sowed this year took nearly two months to show, with gaps in the row which I'm going to fill with mini turnips!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32 »
its always worth breaking the rules just to see if they are valid. My neighbour thins and transplants parsnips beetroot turnip in fact anything that is out of place. I just hope we dont fall out. :lol:

xx
Carrots & Parsnips

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 21:42
by Lulu
xx
parsnips/carrots

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 12:43
by celtbhoy
xx
Carrots and Parsnips - can anyone help

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 15:23
by SkipRat
xx
Parsnips and Carrots

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 18:46
by greentig3r

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 40 queries.