Glass vs Polycarbon

• 67 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Glass vs Polycarbon
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 22:29 »
and as for trying to fit the auto opener when every now and again the sun came out  :nowink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Titter ye not! The instructions for mine said that before fitting you had to put it in the fridge, then squeeze it closed (like a pair of chest-expanders, but in reverse!) and then fit it to the opening window, but because you'd just squeezed it completely flat you could only fit it properly when the temperature was somewhere near what you wanted it to open at so you still had some scope to adjust the opening temperature (cue Mum's problem!  :nowink:  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 22:34 »
Oh my goodness, what a kerfuffle. :lol:  Thank goodness mine has at least two opening lights with no automation.
Cheese makes everything better.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 19:53 »
The epilogue.

One day after geting my greenhouse I have received a rebate of £365 from Npower for overpayment of my bills. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 19:55 »
RESULT  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 20:05 »
That's lovely for you Ice,& congrats to you & Plum on your new greenhouses,long may you grow in there :happy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

plum crumble

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 20:49 »
 :( having a real problem with it - but will calm down and try again tomorrow, in the cool morning light. Hopefully the tension knot in my shoulders and neck will have softened by then.....
I really could do with OH helping, but he is too impatient to be of any use......
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 21:02 »
Are your instructions as incomprehensible as mine Plum?  Was going to make a start on it today but took one look at the instruction booklet and decided not to bother. :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 21:22 »
For me, the most important thing at the start - was to find the numbers on the pieces, or at least id them from the instructions and then stick big labels on them!

Then when the directions said fix bit a12 onto bit b34 I could at least easily see which bits I wanted.

I found it also gave me an idea of where the bits went in the frame  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2012, 21:29 »
Know what you mean mum.  Might wait until we have a few good days in a row and then do the whole thing very methodically.  It was just the sight of all those parts and instructions that have clearly been translated into English via google translate. :lol:

plum crumble

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10 »
oh yes, I found all the parts and laid them out numerically, which pleased my methodical mind. the bit that is a problem is not being able to do the nuts up fully yet, so the whole thing is wobbly, and without someone to hold it, a piece can fall off again when you are putting another piece on.  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12 »
The instructions for mine (Halls) looked a bit scary at first glance (they usually do!) but all the parts were properly numbered which certainly helped.

Loosely bolted all 4 sides as far as possible lying flat on the lawn (not me, stupid!) then managed to connect it all together using the hedge as a useful prop. Only assistance required was carrying the whole wobbly thing into position.  :)

Most tricky part was getting it completely square - don't rely on doing it by eye or set square - I used a non-stretchy length of cord to measure the diagonals of the base - it's quite amazing how much it can be out of true despite looking absolutely perfect!  :wacko:

Be prepared to find you have at least one piece left over - I had quite an interestingly-shaped piece of aluminium left over and over a year later still have no idea what it's for!  :unsure:

No self-respecting self-assembly kit comes without at least one surprise - in my case it was impossible to glaze the door without taking it partly to pieces again ( :mad:) and also the slide-in draught excluder strips couldn't be inserted without taking the door and the runner assembly off again!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:18 by JayG »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50 »
I found that if I used all the door draught-excluder strips as instructed the door just wouldn't shut properly  :lol: so guess what I did - Ho Hum!

:)

plum crumble

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2012, 13:04 »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArRRRRRRRRRRRRRRghhhhhhhhhh

kill kill kill

having to stop for lunch before I KILL SOMEONE

grrrr

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2012, 13:08 »
 :ohmy:

plum crumble

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2012, 13:24 »
and breeeeeathe. Sorry gang! (sorry mum!!)

OH disappeared and came back with chips, pie and curry sauce.
Have scoffed the lot, and, cuppa in hand, will now stroll calmly back down the garden and continue........phew

xx
Cheap glass

Started by janiejakemum on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 19:44
by janiejakemum
xx
Greenhouse needs glass

Started by Njal on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 20:30
by beansticks
xx
New Greenhouse No glass!

Started by carlrmj on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 19:02
by carlrmj
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:04
by si-mate

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 41 queries.