Cucumber problem

• 6 Replies

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
Cucumber problem
« on: July 15, 2016, 13:00 »
Hi all I have a problem with my cucumber plant the leaves are turing brown and go very very dry when you pick them off they crumble like powder, it's starts at the bottom of the plant and works it's way up but it does'nt seem to affect the fruit any ideas please, topscaff
Mike Rixon

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 13:44 »
It may because it's very dry in the greenhouse (they like humidity) or they may have powdery mildew :unsure:
In each case a spray with a dessertspoon of bicarb of soda in a watering can of water, sprayed over the plants should help.

Try hanging a plastic bag/sheet over the plants, but not tightly, to try to keep the atmosphere around them a little more humid.

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 14:11 »
It may because it's very dry in the greenhouse (they like humidity) or they may have powdery mildew :unsure:
In each case a spray with a dessertspoon of bicarb of soda in a watering can of water, sprayed over the plants should help.

Try hanging a plastic bag/sheet over the plants, but not tightly, to try to keep the atmosphere around them a little more humid.

Thanks very much for your reply I will try that straight away :-)

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 21:51 »

Thanks very much for your reply I will try that straight away :-)

I agree, try to keep the floor of the greenhouse wet too, as when(IF) the sun comes out the evaporation will raise humidity
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 22:03 »
try to keep the floor of the greenhouse wet too, as when(IF) the sun comes out the evaporation will raise humidity

I don't like to do that as I do not think it's good for the tomatoes. That's why many people say you can't grow both in the same greenhouse..... can't win can we  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 09:10 »
I have a sprayer full of water by the greenhouse door and whenever I go in I spray the cucumber and aubergine leaves to try to keep the humidity up, as last year they suffered from red spider mite. The plants seem to like that.. so far anyway!!

Any dodgy looking leaves come off straight away
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:25 »
Well as regards the problem I don't know if this would help but I noticed stem rot was finishing off one of my cuke plants so I cut it off and then buried the stalk that was left in new soil.  I then trimmed the plant of just about all its leaves but now almost a week on I suspect that new roots have emerged.  I've kept it well watered.

As for Toms and Cukes in the same environment I'm going to give up on Toms save for a few container grown tumblers as what we get is rubbish but we're overrun with Cukes from just a few plants.

Cheers

Adri

xx
cucumber still fruiting...

Started by lazza on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 20:48
by Trillium
xx
Pumpkin & cucumber

Started by mickmick on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 21:38
by mickmick
xx
Cucumber damage

Started by 4th season allot on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 19:06
by mumofstig
clip
Cucumber Disease

Started by argonaut on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 14:40
by JayG

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 40 queries.