What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2310 on: September 18, 2013, 20:39 »
Oooh what variety are they Anne?
Red Epicure :)

I wondered if they might be, i'm building a Red/Black 'Grex', I have Red Epicure in there :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2311 on: September 18, 2013, 21:54 »
Loads of weeds all over the place.  Popped down at 9am and did an hour of digging around dwarf beans I was going to pull up- there's another crop coming through, so am hanging on and leaving them in for now.  Edge cut the borders.

Pulled up 2 tom plants that were looking done for - green ones coming home to ripen up, picked a wide selection of beans, found 3 cues and dug up some horseradish.  Clearing that old huge bed is going to take some doing those plants go deep! Dug up weird shaped carrots. Dug a hole for the pond (galvanised old wash tub)

Dug out more of the fox den mound.  It looks less used, am hopeful it's found a better home :)

Got back down at sunset which was lovely and just planned and daydreamed. 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2312 on: September 18, 2013, 22:52 »

I wondered if they might be, i'm building a Red/Black 'Grex', I have Red Epicure in there :)
I looked up grex   ::) wiki says"horticultural hybrids of orchids"???  What's a bean doing in there?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 16:33 by Annen »
Anne

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2313 on: September 19, 2013, 13:42 »
Collected and filled 11 bags of horse manure and took to the allotment :)
Got soaking wet though!!! :mad:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2314 on: September 19, 2013, 22:38 »
Sorted out the biggest cloves of my last year's garlic crop and planted them in modules to give them a good start. Might be a bit too soon, but it feels like winter already.

Ema

« Reply #2315 on: September 20, 2013, 22:22 »
cut some leaves away from my winter squashes (sweet dumplings) to help them ripen, there just starting to get green streaks :)

Looked at my bigger pumpkin and thought about constructing a screen from the path view so it doesnt get nicked.

wondered why some of my pumpkin leaves have died suddenly can only assume big foot stood on said plant

Picked some cucs

hoed around the leeks and fed with chicken manure pellets

took some of this weeks aggression out on the plantains growing in the area I havent yet done any weeding, hoe hoe hoe hack hack hack

admired how my patty pan plants seem to have suddenly spurred on and the courgettes slowed right down

grrred at the flea beetles that have eaten all my chinese cabbage seedlings, is there a flea beetle nematode?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2316 on: September 20, 2013, 22:33 »
Dug up the french beans that are now pretty much over and removed all the courgette plants as they have started to suffer from the colder nights and aren't producing much anymore.

Dug in some of my lovely roughage (home made compost). Just need to get some weed fabric to cover the dug over beds that aren't having green manure in them.

Winter tares (green manure) growing well.
Celeriac (fingers crossed) still doing well - no sign of any bolting. I did remove one very small juvenile flower from one root the other day and doesn't look like any more following it.

My mutant giant green squash (that I thought may have been a mutant giant courgette but may actually be a weird green spaghetti squash) has gone from being an upright growth to sprawling al over the plot, is still producing fairly good sized squashes - more huge ones to come??

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2317 on: September 20, 2013, 22:51 »
Two visits in the sunshine today.  :) Pruned and weeded the raspberries, weeded round the tomatoes and pottered about doing some general tidying. Plotfather levelled the earth in the greenhouse ready to do the next job of building me a workbench, maybe next week he says.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2318 on: September 21, 2013, 09:38 »
I weeded  :lol: a whole trug full on my own. I am so excited i had an hour on my own with the weeds, will be back later to do some more yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2319 on: September 21, 2013, 11:51 »
Sadly, nothing. All I can do i go along and watch due to an op on my neck yesterday. No driving allowed. No housework allowed. Hooray! and No gardening - well we'll see about that. Good thing I cut down the dead peas and harvested tomatoes, dug up finished toms  on Thursday. I will simply have to find someone to supervise ... :D

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2320 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51 »
Did loads today - planted out my garlic, pulled up my squash (not really by choice), put my decking to be in place, edged a new bed with logs and did a small bit of weeding. I also removed the netting tunnel from my psb and summer cabbages - time for them to get some fresh air and to take a risk with the birds.... Young winter cabbages and cauli's are still covered

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2321 on: September 21, 2013, 13:50 »
went by myself this morning.  :)Lovely! Some harvesting and weeding. I pruned the gooseberries...don't really know what I'm doing but followed Monty's advice as best I could. I can't make things worse as we had no gooseberries this year anyway!  :( Lovely cuppa and chat to a couple of plot neighbours.

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2322 on: September 21, 2013, 14:32 »
Did some hoeing for about as long as I could bear. Harvested a 'jumbo pink banana' winter squash and some rasps. Put up wire and posts in order to support some berry plants that went in last year - a sylvan blackberry, a thornless loganberry and a thornless 'youngberry' all of which have speeded up after a slow start this spring and were growing along the ground. Pruned some gooseberrys that also went in last year and used short bamboo canes to train this years growth ie to try to persuade them into a better shape. Hand weeded the asparagus bed I planted this spring.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2323 on: September 21, 2013, 15:21 »
Did some hoeing for about as long as I could bear. Harvested a 'jumbo pink banana' winter squash and some rasps. Put up wire and posts in order to support some berry plants that went in last year - a sylvan blackberry, a thornless loganberry and a thornless 'youngberry' all of which have speeded up after a slow start this spring and were growing along the ground. Pruned some gooseberrys that also went in last year and used short bamboo canes to train this years growth ie to try to persuade them into a better shape. Hand weeded the asparagus bed I planted this spring.

What is a youngberry  :wacko: we are also having to put up supports for tayberries and goji berry finally took their time  ::)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2324 on: September 21, 2013, 15:40 »
The amount of hybrid berries is astounding!
There is also now a cross plum and apricot called a 'Pluot' :blink:

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.