What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2220 on: August 28, 2013, 18:55 »
Continued to clear and prepare this year's potato beds for next year's crops(not potatoes) by planting green manure. Tidied up the edges at the top of the beds and put in autumn spuds in the greenhouse. Planted some more spring onions to over winter.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2221 on: August 28, 2013, 19:20 »
Dug, and dug and dug. Practically cleared the main jungle now. Found 2 huge sheets of corrugated metal half an inch down which were not fun to try and get up  >:( the soil on top looked to be amazing natural rotted compost though so at least the soil for the blackberry should be good!

Have to say I ache a bit now - I probably shouldn't have done quite as much as I did (over 4 hours non stop) but I got into my support mode and was determined to finish :/

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2222 on: August 28, 2013, 20:38 »
Planted some bargain strawberries I picked up in Homebase at the weekend. O/h did the watering - he just got enough pressure through the hose from the water butt to water the sweetcorn at the other end of the plot.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

diospyros

« Reply #2223 on: August 29, 2013, 19:18 »
I don't have possession of my plot - may I be excused for saying what I have done towards the day I actually get it... today I firmed up a barter arrangement whereby in October I get blackcurrant cuttings and raspberry suckers in exchange for some ornamentals and the pruning of an apple tree!

mjpalin

« Reply #2224 on: August 29, 2013, 20:29 »
I did some weedkilling around the edges of the plot (well away from any neighbours or anything we're growing)
Other half started to fix one of the raised beds which needs a bit of love and attention.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2225 on: August 29, 2013, 20:31 »
didn't go  >:( decorating the spare room instead  >:(
Anne

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2226 on: August 29, 2013, 21:29 »
Rotorvated the old chicken run for winter onions and spring cabbage ! DRY as a chip to 125 mm  :(
I cook therefore I grow

compostqueen

« Reply #2227 on: August 29, 2013, 22:20 »
Oh dear, stuck indoors decorating on a lovely day like today. You have my sympathies. I'd be going mad

I was on the plot most of the day tackling some weeding. Soil dry as dust, but I dare say it won't stay that way for long

Came away with sweetcorn, beetroots, carrots, red onions and Charlottes.  Oh and yet more courgettes  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2228 on: August 29, 2013, 22:44 »
Well I only lasted 20-30 mins down there :( tools left scattered everywhere and I can't even remember if I shut the shed door. I had planned to harvest lots of ripe cherry Toms and some beetroot. Will have to go and do some one handed tidying of equipment and harvesting tomorrow. Everything else I had planned to do will just have to wait a while sadly

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2229 on: August 29, 2013, 22:54 »
Well I only lasted 20-30 mins down there :( tools left scattered everywhere and I can't even remember if I shut the shed door. I had planned to harvest lots of ripe cherry Toms and some beetroot. Will have to go and do some one handed tidying of equipment and harvesting tomorrow. Everything else I had planned to do will just have to wait a while sadly
Ouch what Happened?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2230 on: August 29, 2013, 23:02 »
There is a thread on chatting on the plot (so I don't get told off for diverting this one)

mjpalin

« Reply #2231 on: August 30, 2013, 22:24 »
two very quick visits for us today (it's friday and the wine was calling)!
Visit one was just to pick runner beans for dinner, and visit two was to water the beans once the sun had gone in and to refill the water-butt.

Godhelm

« Reply #2232 on: August 31, 2013, 18:08 »
Sowed 189 modules of overwintering onions (2 seeds per module). Some general tidying and weeding. Son trimmed grass edges around beds. Harvested tomatoes, beans, squash, cucamelons, cucumbers, lettuce. Checked on calabrese which is heading up. Despaired at holes in cabbages.

Flowertot

« Reply #2233 on: August 31, 2013, 21:51 »
Approached my plot with trepidation after 2 weeks on hols and encountered a jungle!   :ohmy: :ohmy: spent the whole morning weeding and cutting off very mildewy leaves on courgette and pumpkin plants.  There is a lot more to do and too many caterpillars on my broccoli.  Cheered myself up by picking a large bunch of zinnias, dahlias and cosmos for the house  :)

mjpalin

« Reply #2234 on: August 31, 2013, 22:06 »
Spent 2 hours giving the strawberry bed a good clear out, and potting up a few more runners.
It now looks much better :-) and ready for winter.

Watered the end of plot that the hosepipe doesn't reach, and spent 30 mins talking to the new plot neighbour .. trying not to be annoyed that he emailed the secretary last weekend about taking on the plot, when i've spent the last 6 weeks trying to decide whether to or not :-(

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 33 queries.