What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2175 on: August 19, 2013, 17:30 »
Albion strawbs are flowering again so gave them another spruce-up, fed, and netted them.

Pulled up some bolted mixed salad plants and put on compost heap - the idea was to make room to sow some late Florence Fennel, but discovered I haven't got any seeds left (really annoying, I picked up some half-priced seeds at a garden centre yesterday afternoon and had to rely on memory as to what I actually needed - silly me, but how was I to know there was a sale on?!)  :nowink:

Stared with a mixture of admiration and trepidation at one of my 2 Di Nizza courgette plants which has now decided to head off in two separate directions (it's not rampaging across the ground as such but is about 3 times the size of an average "Defender" plant!)  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Godhelm

« Reply #2176 on: August 19, 2013, 18:05 »
Not there yet, but plan to squish sone caterpillars, harvest some (more!) French Beans and measure my new area of the allotment so I can plan what I will use it for. It's adjoining my current 'half' plot so will get me closer to a full plot. Thinking of mainly fruit.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2177 on: August 19, 2013, 18:37 »

Today I finally did it, I butchered 5 productive courgette plants and put them on the compost :( it had to be.  How I'll cope with just the 6 left I just don't know  :tongue2:  (don't judge me- last year I didn't get any so got a bit carried away...). 

Then as I was leaving the manure delivery truck came.  I do organic, so Yippee  :D but by the time I'd got my wheelbarrow and fork out I found Old George had got there first.  Beaten by a 90 year old!  Turns out he only wants the straw for browns in his compost  :dry:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2178 on: August 19, 2013, 19:50 »

Today I finally did it, I butchered 5 productive courgette plants and put them on the compost :( it had to be.  How I'll cope with just the 6 left I just don't know  :tongue2:  (don't judge me- last year I didn't get any so got a bit carried away...). 

Oh the guilt.!!
Shhhhh! I did the same to 1 of 3.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #2179 on: August 19, 2013, 23:26 »
Popped by after going to a festival and all of my onions had fallen so I lifted them.... only 35 and now they are drying out on the patio before being stored on a rack in the shed. I now have to tell my husband NOT to buy them when he goes shopping along with potatoes, garlic, shallots, tomato, chilli and basil - how much of a good feeling is that?!  :D
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2180 on: August 20, 2013, 22:44 »
 :) In between the usual chores, weeding, watering tidying etc. I was often called in to help the Plotfather ........who was busy erecting my ebay greenhouse. At long last. Managed all the sides and hopefully will finish tomorrow!!!!! :D :D :D Oh! and what do I spy on the foreground!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: He!he! :lol:
DSCN0008 (640x480).jpg
DSCN0009 (640x480).jpg

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2181 on: August 20, 2013, 22:50 »
:) In between the usual chores, weeding, watering tidying etc. I was often called in to help the Plotfather ........who was busy erecting my ebay greenhouse. At long last. Managed all the sides and hopefully will finish tomorrow!!!!! :D :D :D Oh! and what do I spy on the foreground!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: He!he! :lol:
very Nice FP  :D
I cook therefore I grow

ptarmigan

« Reply #2182 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16 »
Started clearing ground for new raspberry bed.  There's a lot of couch grass to dig out!  Then can put on the last of my manure stash to settle down before planting the canes over the winter.

diospyros

« Reply #2183 on: August 21, 2013, 16:37 »
Today I went to take a close look at my plot-to-be, to make sure of exactly where it starts and ends, and check what was growing where so I don't make any huge mistake with rotation when I get it.  Then I took a long slow walk round the rest of the site to see what everyone else was up to!

jmc1949

« Reply #2184 on: August 21, 2013, 16:56 »
Continued to build the new raised area at the back of the plot, then harvested a cabbage, some runner beans and too many courgettes. I haven't plucked up the courage to butcher them yet. Three of the five need to go. :ohmy:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2185 on: August 21, 2013, 17:51 »
Continued to build the new raised area at the back of the plot, then harvested a cabbage, some runner beans and too many courgettes. I haven't plucked up the courage to butcher them yet. Three of the five need to go. :ohmy:
quick, go and do it now.........we won't look!  :lol:

jmc1949

« Reply #2186 on: August 21, 2013, 19:17 »
Tomorrow. Promise :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2187 on: August 21, 2013, 19:54 »
 :) Well, the Plotfather and I are doubly exhausted tonight as we spent the whole day fitting the glass into our ebay greenhouse. Each pane needed to be scrubbed with soapy water and rinsed before being placed into position. But....I am now the very proud owner of a greenhouse. Can't wait to get going. Oh! the Plotfather will have to be busy again making work benches etc. Oh well....more skip searches for pallets! :lol: :lol:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2188 on: August 21, 2013, 21:41 »
Took the 16 yr old with me this evening -she's getting her GCSE results tomorrow and needed the distraction.
Watering or moving manure I said.
She watered,
I moved the muck.

We counted pumpkins together.

Oh, and another courgette plant bit the dust  ::) She made me do it!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 22:06 by pigguns »

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2189 on: August 21, 2013, 21:47 »
Popped up after 2 weeks away to survey the amount of weeding I have and I was not disappointed!!!!!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 33 queries.