What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1755 on: June 30, 2013, 17:58 »
Didn't do much as spent the day looking for organic "cure" for slugs or even a non-toxic to pets "cure" for the home garden. Didn't find one so any ideas - beyond the slug traps which we have! Still found a little globe artichoke for 50p and a dozen swede seedlings for 50p so not all bad!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1756 on: June 30, 2013, 18:41 »
Weeded weeded weeded but my day has been tainted by the failiure of my strawberry jam.  ::)

Hubby is going up shortly to carry on on dads seen as he seems to have retired from plot work  ::)

whitehifi

• Adventures With Nature
« Reply #1757 on: June 30, 2013, 19:09 »
Hello first time posting to this thread.

As the weeds have been allowed to get out of control I went to cut them back, and pull what I could in areas where I have stuff planted. Also planted more peas, beans and corn. I decided as it was a nice day to go shirtless, not such a good idea as I'm back home now and my back looks like a cooked Lobster :ohmy:. Still worth it as I only have one more week/weekend left before I'm off to Ontario to visit family/holiday. Not looking forward to seeing the weeds when I get back at the end of July.

jim1972

« Reply #1758 on: June 30, 2013, 19:16 »
Planted out 9 outdoor cucumbers and like everyone else weeded

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1759 on: June 30, 2013, 19:29 »
Set up comfrey press, weeded, watered, woodchipped a new path (20cm deep) and potted on poppies. Then realised how burned my back was getting and ran home!
comfrey pipe.jpg

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #1760 on: June 30, 2013, 19:43 »
Picked elderflower for some alchol concoction - dug up somefirst earlies - Red Duke of York - about 50% decent size the rest a little on the small size.
By the way, is the comfrey press just a standard guttering pipe and then a lemonade bottle - have you weighted the bottle or do you just press it down when you put new leaves in? Its my next construction job one way or another..

Cheers,
Balders.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 19:46 by Baldy »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1761 on: June 30, 2013, 19:45 »
I only went to water the greenhouse and an hour and a half later I went home! ??? Picked and weeded, one pumpkin bit the dust.
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1762 on: June 30, 2013, 19:50 »
Pulled all the couch grass that had grown through the weed control fabric  :mad: round the jostaberry! and tidied up around the raspberries.

2 more potatoes have gone down with blackleg, I'll have to dig them up tomorrow - cos my fork was at home  ::)

karen.linda

« Reply #1763 on: June 30, 2013, 20:12 »
Today was very warm and sunny here.  Everything looks as if its growing well - though the swede has had a few leaves attacked (eaten - birds?)   We took the netting off the Hispi, Savoy, Cauli, purple sprouting, and Brussels and did a marathon weed. (then replaced the netting - not sure when it can come off ??)  Then had a much quicker ho round the onions  (white, giant, shallots, spring ) which are swelling fine and leeks, beets, carrots and parsnip are doing great too.  The runner beans have reached mid way to the top and there are some flowers.  The four courgettes have flowers showing too.  We planted a further row of Nantes carrots and another of spring onions filling up the remainder of the space as over one quarter of the site is full of potatoes....We also decided to lift one plant of the Suttons First Earlies and managed about a half a pound of small pots.  Think we will leave another week or two for the rest but we have so many to break the ground up (1st, 2nd earlies, salad and main crop)  Then we did some watering as we haven't had much rain.  We both caught the sun a bit and was glad we took up lunch (home-made bread sandwiches) and a cool drink.  Whew!   Karen :) and John 8)
Heck, yes,  I'm SHORT.  God only lets things grow until they're PERFECT. Some of us didn't take as long as others  :-)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1764 on: June 30, 2013, 20:16 »
Picked elderflower for some alchol concoction - dug up somefirst earlies - Red Duke of York - about 50% decent size the rest a little on the small size.
By the way, is the comfrey press just a standard guttering pipe and then a lemonade bottle - have you weighted the bottle or do you just press it down when you put new leaves in? Its my next construction job one way or another..

Cheers,
Balders.

Standard downpipe, sieve mesh (not necessary but I thought I'd try to filter out the gunk a bit), funnel, lenor bottle. Weighted at the top with a full water bottle on a string, which is also useful for packing the leaves down a bit.

Saw it first on Kirpi's posts last year and thought it was a great idea. The pipe is on a southfacing wall so should cook nicely.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1765 on: June 30, 2013, 20:34 »
Planned for where the new gate would go at the end of the plot and how much wood we're going to need. Moved old compost bin contents onto new pallet heaps. Watered, watered, watered (i'm a once a week thorough soaking gal unless the weather is stupidly hot) and then picked 9oz of strawberries :-)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Flowertot

« Reply #1766 on: June 30, 2013, 20:47 »
Just popped down to the plot this evening to water everything thoroughly.  It has been very dry here lately and today was hot  :D I could almost hear the pumpkin plants growing along the ground...also really excited as my cutting patch is starting to flower  :) and the potato plants are so huge I think this is the week for my first furtle.

Ema

« Reply #1767 on: June 30, 2013, 23:22 »
Watered and watered
Dug up my row of Pentland Javelin as the foliage was starting to die
Ate strawberries
Played out sweet potato slips, can't be bothered with them at home they were just being attacked by aphids

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1768 on: July 01, 2013, 06:53 »
Hubby managed to be home at 8.30 which is rare  :ohmy:After falling on tge black plastic and hurting his knee. He already has a dodgy knee but now its really sore, so out came the broad bean bag to ice it.

Hes still struggling this morning. He did do a four foot square patch of digging before he fell

snowdrops

« Reply #1769 on: July 01, 2013, 08:06 »
I trip to take some compostable waste & added to bin,came home to sort out the greenhouse out But didn't get that far as I broke my toe :(
Oh no!  You'll have to put that on the ailments thread!  What did you do?
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107160.msg1203043#msg1203043

Rather a d*mn nuiscence really as I was so far behind any way. Never mind getting better now. :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:08 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 33 queries.