What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1710 on: June 26, 2013, 23:40 »
Indulged in my favourite pastime - weeding! Planted out some lettuce - surplus from next plot but two. Took a few minutes to admire my parsnips - lots 1 & 2 are up and definitely running. Potatoes are beginning to flower so it all looks good but why is one purple sprouting broccoli so far ahead of all the rest - not really enough for one portion but it is going great guns - ideas welcomed? Swede seedling coming along nicely - in fact every seed has sprouted so thinning will be necessary!
Tomorrow - it will rain as I watered the plot before I left.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1711 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23 »
The plan was to go and water, weed and check the seedlings....

.......but, when the time came to get ready, there was no sign of my father's carer so another day's plans gone west.... as usual.  :(

"There's always tomorrow," I keep telling myself.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Sue33

« Reply #1712 on: June 27, 2013, 09:59 »

got to the plot last night and planted out sweetcorn, cucumbers, tomatoes and a few french beans, lots of weeding and then watered the lot  :)

grendel

« Reply #1713 on: June 27, 2013, 12:11 »
up to both plots today, on a weeding / picking run, an hour at each and we have a few scraggy leeks from last year, mange tout, several tubs, I had a furtle under a couple of volunteer potatoes at each plot and have 2 takeaway tubs of potatoes (pulled up the volunteers) disturbed a few onions that were near the potatoes, so a nice mix to go with the pork for tea.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #1714 on: June 27, 2013, 12:18 »
my harvest (and the loaf I baked last night)
Grendel
DSC01461 (Small).JPG

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1715 on: June 27, 2013, 12:26 »
Grendel you cook as well as grow. :ohmy: Marry me  :lol: i asked hubby once to suprise me with an apple cake he did suprise me alright when i walked into the kitchen and clocked him butt naked in my floral apron.  :ohmy:

He said you asked for a suprise  :ohmy: :ohmy: the apron went in the wash and i never did try his apple cake.

Not a sight i ever wish to repeat and not i my flaming pinny.  :mad:

grendel

« Reply #1716 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41 »
my mum has baked bread every other day all her life, her dad was a baker, I have had a few disasters along the way but can now knock out a nice half wholemeal multiseeded loaf, with just a couple of hours notice (depending on rising time) just munching on 'breakfast' - just plain bread and butter, and have to say its gorgeous.
Grendel

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1717 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43 »
my mum has baked bread every other day all her life, her dad was a baker, I have had a few disasters along the way but can now knock out a nice half wholemeal multiseeded loaf, with just a couple of hours notice (depending on rising time) just munching on 'breakfast' - just plain bread and butter, and have to say its gorgeous.
Grendel

Would you share some recipes on the recipe section, over winter i am going to crack bread for omce and for all.

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #1718 on: June 27, 2013, 14:04 »
A nice harvest there Grendel :) - I assume by 'volunteer' you mean you chose one to sacrifice if it all went pete tong?

Today, managed to complete the wall for the chooks, potted two tom plants and put some beetroot seedlings into the ground :)
2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1719 on: June 27, 2013, 16:36 »
Lovely harvest and loaf Grendel. ;)

I spent today finally finishing the digging and couch clearing for the sweetcorn bed.  I plan to add some chicken manure pellets tomorrow, top with newspaper and plant up with the sweetcorn.  I will then mulch over with grass clippings to stop the newspaper blowing away.  Hopefully, that should keep the weeds at bay!

I also did some seed sowing to keep my crops going - kale (red and green), beetroot and chard.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Jon Gale

« Reply #1720 on: June 27, 2013, 16:49 »
Planted a final row of potatoes. Hoed round runner beans and the rows of potatoes already up. Got very wet. Chatted to neighbours.

Didn't get as much time as I would have liked down there today, owing to having to bath the dog- twice! He rolled in badger poo on both walks today, little tyke.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1721 on: June 27, 2013, 16:49 »
It is raining!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1722 on: June 27, 2013, 17:00 »
It is raining!

Same here so hubby was delighted when i said he could put florences new little trampoline together, i did hear him mutter "i'd rather be weeding "  :lol:

grendel

« Reply #1723 on: June 27, 2013, 17:34 »
A nice harvest there Grendel :) - I assume by 'volunteer' you mean you chose one to sacrifice if it all went pete tong?

Today, managed to complete the wall for the chooks, potted two tom plants and put some beetroot seedlings into the ground :)
no these are where the potatoes were last year, just popped up, now current wisdom says they could be a source for blight, but last year the weeds grew up in my potato beds and the slugs got the foliage way before blight hit, so I thought I would risk it, plus if I harvest them as earlies, then I can have them finished and done with before blight gets anywhere near. waste not want not.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #1724 on: June 27, 2013, 17:36 »

Would you share some recipes on the recipe section, over winter i am going to crack bread for omce and for all.
Certainly.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 32 queries.