What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1050 on: May 02, 2013, 20:07 »
Popped down at 7 after work and watered everything - not had anything for over a week here and although I watered the seeds in on Sunday I probably should have gone down earlier in the week to water a well - we shall see.

Inspected the plants - all doing well. Especially the weeds!! Super annoyed as I have discovered the cause of the unidentified weeds popping up - the 'well rotted' manure we all got from the allotment delivery - I have seen them popping up on everybody else's plot too!

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #1051 on: May 02, 2013, 20:26 »
Watered all the seedlings in the greenhouse, sowed some chinese radish and Shiraz mangetout seeds, planted out spring onions, sugar snap peas and Little Gem lettuce grown in modules.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1052 on: May 02, 2013, 21:18 »
Watered watered watered, pulled a few stray weeds in the path.
Everything was so dry. No sign of the spuds yet but I think they needed a drink, asparagus is up and looking good, picked rhubarb a large helping. Pondered why rhubarb is so amazing when the waterr catches in the leaves and delivers it right down to the root.

Admired my peas which are now a foot tall, looked at the beautiful broad beans under their wire badger proof cage. Admired my blackcurrants which are dripping in flower buds they look more like grape vines.

My new tayberries from poundland are starting to pull together, gojiberry also looking ok.
Sloe berries also look great so I am very happy at finally getting a night off baby duty to get up there.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1053 on: May 03, 2013, 16:05 »
I made it to the plot for a couple of hours yesterday, but it was SOOO cold.  Four year old and I dug the greenhouse bed and put some well rotted manure into it ready for the tomatoes.

We then spent a gorgeous day at the plot today, having got there early.

I managed to plant some onions, leeks, cornflower and nigella plants plus I sowed a few flower seeds in the border.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1054 on: May 03, 2013, 19:01 »
Spent the afternoon reorganising the greenhouse at home, getting rid of anything I didn't think was thriving and ensuring all the space for the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and chillies is clean and ready to use now.

Very satisfying  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1055 on: May 03, 2013, 20:16 »
A lovely 3 hours on the plot this afternoon. O/h finished digging over the first of 2 new beds, whilst I planted about 40 new strawberry plants. Then gave everything that needed it a good water.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1056 on: May 03, 2013, 20:21 »
No plot for me again today, hubby got back from Florida yesterday and today left for Sheffield. No plot either tomorrow but Sunday will be a plot day

snowdrops

« Reply #1057 on: May 03, 2013, 20:48 »
I sowed 6 rows of parsnips,after forking over the ground,shame I didn't get my plan sorted before. Then I wouldn't have walked all over it last week to firm it for the brassica's that aren't going there now :wacko: Then I came home & shredded the prunings from Monday evening & pruned some more,followed by more shredding. Off to the compost bins at the plot with it all on Sunday.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Steveharford

« Reply #1058 on: May 03, 2013, 21:19 »
Put my electric propogators into storage till next spring. Put a couple of outdoor tomatoes outside in pots but decided to put some fleece over them
Just now.

blackberryjam

« Reply #1059 on: May 03, 2013, 23:25 »
No lottie today worked 12 hours then went to the super sonic 70s show .i will spend the day at the lottie tomorrow  ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1060 on: May 04, 2013, 11:40 »
Just tried a second batch of cabbage and the lidl trays have hit the compost.  ::) penny wise, pound foolish springs to mind again  ::)

Ema

« Reply #1061 on: May 04, 2013, 12:55 »
Finished my first lazy bed last night and put some sarpo miras in it - still have 4 rows of 8 potatos to sow! Also sowed a few parsnips and radish seeds.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1062 on: May 04, 2013, 15:32 »
Potted up 1 of my marmande tomatoe plants into a 15 inch pot, i have some 12 inchers and they look tiny next to this thing, potted up 8 lettuce and sowed 8 more, sowed 50 runner beans and sowed my winter squash.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1063 on: May 04, 2013, 15:35 »
Watered everything well. This sunshine is lovely but it would be great to have a shower or two for the thirsty plants. Also planted peas and put in supports ready for them.

Still nothing from carrots and spring onions which have had 2 weeks. I am wondering if the first 6 day gap in watering (unforeseen circumstances) has killed them off before they got started. Will make a judgement call on Mon before deciding if I should re-sow. Potatoes and onions coming on a treat as are my first lot of parsnips. Still no sign of the ones I sowed direct but it has only been 3 weeks so not worried yet. 1 tiny green shoot seen by one of my raspberry canes so I hope it is a shoot and not a weed haha!

I was thinking about putting my brassicas in at the plot (on balcony in pots at the moment) but it is so windy here today and the lottie is more exposed than the balcony so decided to wait.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1064 on: May 04, 2013, 15:44 »
We've just moved 10 wheelbarrows of top soil from the garden to the plot. Boy does it seem further than 2 minutes away with a heavy barrow. Potted up another 30 strawberry plants (which I thought was the last of them), the discovered the postman had delivered 24 more... i really must keep track of what I order on the web, i truly have no idea where I am going to put them all!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 33 queries.