What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1005 on: April 28, 2013, 16:21 »
repotted all our strawberry plants that are in pots in the back garden, this time including the water retaining gel stuff.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

ThePragmatist

« Reply #1006 on: April 28, 2013, 17:24 »
Made a mini munty bean frame and planted some runner bean seeds. On friday I dodged ridiculous hail and put enviromesh over my brassica bed which was sown last weekend.

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1007 on: April 28, 2013, 17:41 »
Planted our Jerusalem Artichokes.
herbiegrowsbananas

LJB12

« Reply #1008 on: April 28, 2013, 18:09 »
Planted 2 packs of petit pois and 4 pea plants. Weeded all beds. Planted 6 strawberry plants. Gave everything a really good watering and cut back nettles and comfrey. Only popped down for 20 mins, stopped for 2 hours :-)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1009 on: April 28, 2013, 18:56 »
I dug the end of one bed that didn't get covered in weed control at the end of last year and planted a few strawberry plants and a couple of asparagus, whilst o/h dug over about 1/2 of one of the new beds. I did feel really sorry for him, as the previous "owners" did nothing last year, so it was a horrible matted mess of dead weeds and the potato crop they never dug up.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1010 on: April 28, 2013, 19:01 »
Dug up another area of nettles with their huge roots - got a few stings for my trouble (how do they manage to get through the thick leather style gloves?!) weeded the new strawberry bed, fixed home-made compost bin and planted up some rhubarb crowns. Quite a productive morning

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1011 on: April 28, 2013, 19:08 »
Planted out the purple podded mangetout plants, put up the pea frames with first lot of string round.

Planted out module sown beetroot and chard, spring onions and lettuce

Earthed up potatoes

Picked the first cauliflower of the year, the first good spring cabbage, the first PSB, a lot of kale flowering stalks, masses of rhubarb, a good haul of golden leaved leeks, some small carrots and a large amount of mint to roast the lamb on today
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Steveharford

« Reply #1012 on: April 28, 2013, 20:12 »
Blimey sunshine , the weather down your way must live up to your name. Very impressive.
Just got the sprinkler on me taters for an hour then going to move it on to the garlic. No rain for at least a week according to my app, and I think they need a livener.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1013 on: April 28, 2013, 20:20 »
Dropped off 6 breeze blocks, weeded loads and loads and loads, watered pumpkins and broad beans, prepared bed for sweet corn, met Malcolm on the next plot, nice bloke.

Edit: oh and sowed peas, bit late but there you go.  Sowed fennel and French beans in modules.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 20:22 by Jake »
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1014 on: April 28, 2013, 20:26 »
Planted some module grown "Twinkle" peas, "Speedy" Broad beans on my allotment.
90 module seed sown "Bedfordshire Champion" onions in my mums garden

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1015 on: April 28, 2013, 20:26 »
Borrowed a mattock and set about blackkthorn roots on my new bit of land. Extended the trench for the new path by 2m, lined it all with membrane and filled with woodchip. New bed nearly ready to be dug.

My broad bean plants are going yellow. Fed them with BRB in case they were hungry and if there;s no change next week they will get a dose of Epsom salts. While I was weeding them I had a robin 2-3 inches from my hand - by far the best moment of the day!

PSB is on it's way (2 remaining plants from 15, all the others drowned), and I picked some chard. Lovely neighbour gave me an armful of rhubarb from his triffid, which is now roasting in the oven...

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1016 on: April 28, 2013, 20:27 »
I dug over a large bed with my new azada - blooming marvellous tool!  Made a circular pea frame and planted peas. Helped OH build a 'munty' bean frame, had a natter with the lady on the next plot and had a wander round the site nosing at what everyone else is doing  :D

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1017 on: April 28, 2013, 21:26 »
Finished planting the last of the tatties, it has been very very cold in Carlisle this "spring"  :(

Also weeded in between all of the beds and paths in prep for a ton or 2 of cheap shillies to complete the paths, the allotment has come on leaps and bounds since I was last on here and is now looking like it is meant to, just needs a bit of fluffing up over this season.

So hopefully I will become more active on here again as the site and posters were a real help when we first got the plot, so many thanks  8)
Carlisle

snowdrops

« Reply #1018 on: April 28, 2013, 22:21 »
Finally transplanted 6 elephant garlic + 1 that didn't split in to cloves,so I'm hoping to let it flower & set seed. The other garlic went in too, about 50 or so cloves. That should keep us going a bit longer than last year with a bit of luck. Tidied the brassica's & re netted them,picked more PSB. Decided to dig over where the potatoes were last year with the aim of sowing parsnips in there with some carrots.Had a cuppa.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Plots

« Reply #1019 on: April 29, 2013, 00:32 »
Three trays of cells sown with French Climbing beans and then I went off to sleep right through the afternoon.  :blink: Woke in time for the dnner and bed-time shifts.

Felt really tired - will wish I'd had the energy to visit the plot come tomorrow when there's no time to go.  :(

Two hours from now I can go back to bed until the morning. Shift working hours are not the best.   :mellow:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 32 queries.