strawberries

• 14 Replies

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
strawberries
« on: May 08, 2007, 21:57 »
got two good plants and grew them in glass house for a few weeks then planted them into big bucket pots and popped them in the corner of my raised beds...one has failed totaly while the other is thrivin.
what could it be? :(

ruffmesiter_69

strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:34 »
how bizaree, did you do anything different, did you firm both down properly?

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
strawberries
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 16:18 »
both the same treatment no difference..

shaun

strawberries
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 16:21 »
i got given about 20 last year and theres about 6 left  :( but the ones that are left are in flower i might get a cup full if i'm lucky
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

noshed

strawberries
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 17:21 »
Mine are bearing fruit - some red already. I haven't got any straw so I'm trying shredded paper under them.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

shaun

strawberries
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 17:36 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Mine are bearing fruit - some red already. I haven't got any straw so I'm trying shredded paper under them.

that will be a bit risky noshed if the paper gets wet,you can get a sack full from a pet shop for a couple of quid

Trillium

strawberries
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 21:53 »
I agree with Shaun. Paper is processed enough to go moldy when damp/wet. Best to try for sources of used straw, or a local farmer who wants rid of a broken bale.

As for Celtboy's problem, strawbs need the winter cold to set them growing properly. And it's possible you buried one a bit too deep or too high - that makes a world of difference to a strawberry. And if they get too dry, then they're toast.

Dave&Lyn

Strawberries
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 00:20 »
We are growing strawberries for the 1st time , got 6 very small plants [ like plug plants] cheap from the garden center can anyone advise me how to care for them I know I won't get any fruit this year they are too small  
Thanks
Dave& Lyn

Trillium

strawberries
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 16:12 »
As I mentioned above, they must go in at the same planting height as the plug or you have immediate problems. In the first year they also need regular watering as strawbs are shallow rooted and can't cope until next year. They also need good fertile soil (compost, old manure, etc) and a mulch of straw, shredded leaves, etc will keep them happy and next year's fruit off the damp ground. Otherwise, they're not much trouble. There's a bug that sucks out the sap (visible by a white foam) and a general spritz of soapy water with a bit of vinegar will take care of it. Pick off any flowers this year so the plants will grow better.  :D

splodger

strawberries
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 19:32 »
you might find it easier to create a small mound of earth, then make an indent in the top for the small roots to sit in - lightly cover roots, keeping soil of crown - then firm well (squashing mound slightly.)

strawberries always look sad when they are moved initially - but many will come back from the dead.

my strawberries plants now are all from runners - your new plants won't fruit - but there will have babies - so save them.

when a good sized runner has formed fill a small pot with compost and just place base of crown on the top - it will root itself. just leave it allow (but don't let it dry out - then next spring - plant it out.

Dave&Lyn

Strawberries
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 20:52 »
Thanks to Splodger & Trillium For your tips on growing strawberries
I'm having to grow them in pots [no room in the garden]  

one large bucket size with 4 plants in and a smaller pot on top with the other 2  pyramid style  some years ago I remember seeing them grown like this so thought I'd give it a go being very limited for space
Put them in this morning they seem quite happy on checking them this evening They've not wilted as expected quite the reverse they seem to be smiling
Thanks for the help
Lyn

noshed

strawberries
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 00:19 »
Bum, something else to worry about

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
strawberries
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 20:44 »
I'm amazed...we've got several ripe red strawbs already on brand new plants which we put in only a few weeks ago. We're using the straw the guinea pig usually relies on...he's having to put up with paper. :lol:
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

kaths

strawberries
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 21:38 »
I bought a bag of straw from the pet shop, put it round my strawberries ...and the straw sprouted and grew.

How do I make sure this dosen't happen again? Did I maybe buy hay and not straw? What should I be looking for on the bag. I did not expect this to be complicated!
Kath S

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
strawberries
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 22:13 »
Hays greenish and straws coarser and yellowish. Your always bound to get a few seeds mixed in just pull them up as they shoot.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Strawberries

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 13:32
by gobs
xx
Strawberries

Started by Pauly1958 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 06, 2019, 17:54
by jambop
xx
Strawberries

Started by Debz and Jon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 22:56
by Heather_S
xx
Strawberries

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 23:16
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 35 queries.