I've forgotten how hard work puppies are !! !

• 14 Replies

sarajane

I've forgotten how hard work puppies are !! !
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:51 »
and its not even mine...... I look after the grandkiddlies on a sat or sun every week and now they are coming with their 16 week old Beagle puppy. 

My Scamp doesn't like him as he is too boisterous for him so spent my time yesterday keeping them apart as well as trying to supervise sticking and gluing etc with the kids.  As the weather is not good my carpets covered in mud, as are the white kitchen cupboards from when he was trying to jump up to get stuff from the top, including the ham that was cooling on the windowsill.

Turned my back for a second, he jumped on the chair then the table and woofed down my cup of tea.

I've spent the morning cleaning the cupboards, carpets etc and to top it all, keep stepping into damp patches on the carpet when I've missed him having a whoopsie.

He is sweet though and loves cuddles.  He's called snoopy and I will post a photo when I can get him to sit still for a moment or two.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: I've forgotten how hard work puppies are !! !
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:56 »
 :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I know it is not funny for you but had visions of you racing round trying to keep order.  Mop in one hand, craft things in another, one leg stopping Snoopy getting at the ham!!   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 15:38 »
I thought you were going to say he had eaten the ham  :lol:  At least it was only your cup of tea he had. 

Pamela

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 18:11 »
While he sounds loveable and cute, he also needs some behaviour lessons. Since you don't have the time, then perhaps keeping him on a leash indoors will help lesson the commotion. And strongly urge the parents to get Snoopy into obedience classes. A well behaved dog is a far more valuable companion than something wild.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 19:15 »
get Snoopy into obedience classes. A well behaved dog is a far more valuable companion than something wild.
I know what you mean Trillium, but I laughed remembering the day, years ago, me and my pup got asked to leave puppy training ..... we were disturbing the good flow of the lessons apparently.  She'd get down on her hunkers and refuse to budge.  Deliberate non compliance  :nowink:  We never darkened their door again  :lol:

Snoopy sounds like a tornado with legs sarajane - a couple of well timed gruffs from scamp would do him no harm i suppose to remind him where he sits in the pecking order.  Best of luck  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 22:30 »
Although you are wanting to help your family & I am sure you love having your grandchildren each weekend,I wonder do they realise how much you are having to do looking after their children & then they go & get a dog. Although I have no grandchildren I had to tell my son that I would not be able to look after his puppy again if they went on holiday again after last festive season when they went to Vegas & New York. My daughter stayed at their house but was working so i spent all my time going up to the dog,taking her out or bringing her home with me. My life wasn't my own,she's a lovely dog & enjoy her but I haven't got a dog on purpose.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 22:31 »
I have to say my house really was a bit like Faulty Towers yesterday and the OH was out chopping down a couple of trees for a mate.

Trills, he did end up on the leash for the last hour and I have to say it was a bit easier.  Son and DIL have already said he will go to training classes (even if I have to pay for it) but I have to say he is far better behaved for them as he knows they are the boss, unlike in my house.

Scamp has given him no end of gruffs to warn him off and even nipped him when he was jumping up at the kids (he really didn't like that as they are HIS kids and has protected them from birth).

Shame on you Shoozie for having such a bad pup ;)  ;) how embarrasing  ;)

Roll on next weekend :unsure:

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 22:43 »
The trouble is, I want the dog as well.  They come as a family package.  We spend some weekends in the summer all going camping together so the dogs will have to learn to get on.

My brother and his gang come too and he has just got  a new puppy, Milo a beddlington terrier. (he will be trained to go rabbitting with him).  As yet, he's not met our new holy terror.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 23:28 »
Scamp has given him no end of gruffs to warn him off and even nipped him when he was jumping up at the kids (he really didn't like that as they are HIS kids and has protected them from birth).
He'll learn from Scamp I'm sure - but I understand if Scamp can't be doing now with a pup.  Does snoopy have his bed with him when he visits - just an idea, so he has his place to go to when you say so, giving him and Scamp their space. 

Shame on you Shoozie for having such a bad pup ;)  ;) how embarrasing  ;)
It was very embarrassing sarajane.  :nowink:  She had other plans it seems  .... Turned into the finest dog anybody could ever hope for  :D

Sounds like your camping trips won't ever be boring  :D :D

evie2

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 22:44 »
You have my sympathies it, sounds like our house. 
During the summer holidays when OH was on puppy and grandchildren duty, there was a sudden panic when Josh, Pip and Mist disappeared from the front garden.  Josh had opened the door and the pups took him for a walk :nowink:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49 »
We had folk here for a fund raising meal for the dog refuge, one of the ladies is fostering a pup, so he came with her.......  we found a few pee´s after we cleared away the chairs and this morning a poo in the spare bedroom! 

It was a bad night for peeing and pooing here-  Timón did a poo on our bedroom floor at about 4am and pee´d up the curtain that goes across the passageway  :wacko:

At least we have tiles on the floor everywhere, so no problem to clean them.

Pamela

tallulah

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 19:05 »
I've heard that Beagle puppies are particularly lively and challenging  :lol:.

sarajane

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 23:56 »
He is rather lively and has already broken one of his toes (we think trying to climb over one of the 2 baby gates they have up) He then managed with his whole leg bandaged up and one of those lampshade type shields around his head to still get over the baby gate, go upstairs, devour 12 days of 2 chocolate advent calenders, throw up, pee and poo and then fall asleep on one of the beds.

We, and they still love him though.

Scamp unfortunately  still does not.  We can take them both for a walk and they get on wonderful. The minute we get back home the normally placid Scamp turns into the tazmanian devil, attacking the poor thing and they have to be separated.   :(  :(  :(  We will persevere though.  Any tips greatfully received  ;)

snow white

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 21:38 »
Get him a crate.  I have a four month old active puppy that every day is more well behaved than the last.  And she is very active and bright.  But if it wasn't for the crate I would have lost my marbles weeks ago.  She is into everything, you can not turn your back for a minute.  The crate keeps her safe if I can not supervise her properly.  She is not in there very often, every night, for two hours after her walk and occasionally if I pop to the shops.  She loves it and often goes in by herself. It has a heating pad underneath and is really warm.  She sits to command, retrieves dummies and comes to the whistle (as long as there are no other puppies to play with that is!)  We allow no bad behaviour but she continues to be manic at times.  Hope that helps.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 22:38 »
I agree with snow white and the crate training its worked great on all 3 of my dogs (dalmatian, husky and chinese crested ) as long as the crate is seen as a nice place he will learn to love it. As for scamp being fine on walks and not at home its down to terrritory, you might think im mad but as long as there isnt blood being drawn i would alow scamp to do what he needs to do. Being older he is teaching the pup manners and putting the pup in his place without this interaction he could end up worse off by a bigger bossier dog in the big wide world. Wen we got our husky and bought him into the house with our other 2 dogs i had head aches from the constant growl but after a couple of weeks all died down and now a year on they are all best of friends. I would never leave them alone in casethey did get out of hand but it never did. Dogs have to have a hierachy you being on top and theyll sort out there places with each other.  Makes me laugh was just reading an article in your dog magazine about puppy stress and how to cope lol all the joys  :D oh and just to add it the pup had a crate it would also give scamp some well deserved space  ;)

xx
puppies in the bin

Started by chrissie B on Pets without Feathers

39 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 23:05
by chrissie B
smiley
Puppies puppies puppies

Started by bravemurphy on Pets without Feathers

26 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 21:20
by devonbarmygardener
xx
New puppies

Started by Pep on Pets without Feathers

31 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:52
by Pep
xx
need advice please on puppies

Started by nicky d on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 19:03
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 38 queries.