Overwintering aubergines?

• 11 Replies

allotmentann

Overwintering aubergines?
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:17 »
Having just read the other thread about what we will not be growing next year, I notice that quite a few of us struggle with aubergines. I was reading the other day that aubergines are actually perennials in their country of origin, don't know if this is true or not? But if this is the case, do you think it might be possible to overwinter them in much the same way as you can do peppers (although perhaps kept a bit warmer)? Mine just run out of time each year. Has anyone ever tried this? :)

sarajane

Re: Overwintering aubergines?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:49 »
I've never done it but have thought about it as mine usually run out of steam before they are ready.

I do think you could only really try this if you have a heated conservatory that gets the maximum sun as its not just warmth that they need.  I only have windowsills which don't get enough sun in the winter.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09 »
I think it is possible - a couple of years ago, the aubergines I had outdoors started to develop buds and the older leaves dropped off.  I trimmed them back and put them in the greenhouse thinking they might be alright.  Unfortunately, the mild autumn spell dived into sub zero temperatures for several weeks and killed the lot off before I could rescue them.   If I'd brought them indoors instead, I'm certain they might have kept them going long enough until spring.  Unfortunately my chillies at the time had got priority windowsill space.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:15 »
I'm sure it would work if you have enough warm enough and light enough places to keep them  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:02 »
I don't  and I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. They are plants from warmer climes and need sunshine and daylight to make good plants.  I'd start early in January with new plants from seed. Even then they're tricky

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:22 »
I suppose it's worth a try, even if you just bung one in the windowsill to see what happens. You can always lob it on the compost heap later rather than sooner ;)

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:48 »
I think I might try just a couple of plants in a nice warm room, although this will have to be next year, as this years have now been composted. I will only try because I still have some seeds to use up.  If overwintering them does not work that will definitely be it.
Compostqueen, I have never started them that early, perhaps I could try this too, although I think I might struggle to keep them going without them going leggy started off so soon. But again I could try just a couple of plants. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 13:21 »
They are a trial they really are but I've persisted trying to grow them as I do like to eat them

In the past I've done well with Bonica and one called Diamond but really struggled with the mediterranean varieties. Some of them are so gorgeous to look at though, the rose and violet tinted ones, that's I've tried my hardest to get them to fruit. They are slaves to aphids though and even in winter you will find them difficult to keep clear of the dratted pest, which is why I wouldn't bother.  I grow mine in big pots and keep moving them in and out of the greenhouse which is another pain in the neck.  I don't want to spray with chemicals as once you start you'd never stop and they don't seem to work so I end up hand squishing and squirting the plants with a jet of water from the hose.  I think those biological controls might be the way to go for aubs and chillies etc

I say every year that I won't bother next year  ;)

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 16:56 »
Thanks for the tips and advice - I will look for the varieties that you mention :)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 22:36 »
ive tried and its a total waste of time and effort, sorry 'bout that....

The ONLY way is start off early and grow on in a heated greenhouse.
Death OR Cake ???

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48 »
No heated greenhouse I am afraid, so I have never started them off very early. That is why I was thinking about starting off just a couple of plants. I may just be able to find enough light and heat to keep a couple going :)

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03 »
The thing is though to get good fruit you need good strong plants

xx
overwintering aubergines

Started by veggirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 14:17
by WebSiteEvo
xx
Overwintering?

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 22:31
by mumofstig
xx
overwintering

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2006, 08:24
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
overwintering

Started by Gordonstoms on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 20:31
by galen

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 41 queries.