Long time no see, hello all again

• 14 Replies

Beetroot queen

Long time no see, hello all again
« on: September 08, 2012, 20:13 »
Haven't been on for ages, can't even remember if it was before or after I had my third child, who is now one oh my how did that happen.

Any way I am back sort of. Wth two plots, three children and a house to run I may not be as regular as regular should be.

I recently treated myself to the teal jam maker which is why I am posting in this forum, anyone else got one. It's a cheats way I know but it's brill and I can do it with a baby sat on one hip. Well worth the money, (I inherited a small sum) so it was a gift to me. Along with some fruit bushes for the allotment.

Anyway so far this week I have done damson jam, greengage, raspberry and Victoria plum, tomorrow I am off to search for blackberries that are actually ready. I can't wait.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Long time no see, hello all again
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 20:37 »
Congrats for number 3 a year ago and for your gift to yourself  :D

Hope you've got lots of friends who like jam  :ohmy: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:44 »
You sound like you'll definitely have your hands full for the next while. Nice to see you back.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 17:15 »
We had jam yesterday and today and to be honest I don't like jam but I am converted.
Florence baby number three has come with a few issues making her not an easy ride. Lol but she is beautiful and I wouldn't swap her for all the courgettes in the world.
She has a Few serious food allergies so the allotment will come in handy. Anyone also an expert on allergy free cakes, she has serious allergies to milk, soya, dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts, sesame and banana. (no kiwi) we are not even allowed to try her as banana and kiwi allergies tend to go together. So what on earth does this child eat, pure meat, cucumber and anything free from that massive list. Ps it's not just me being fussy these are confirmed serious allergies that cause her to swell (I have seen the results far too much in the last year for my liking)

She is also highly intolerant to peach, tomato, pineapple. Bless her if anyone can find me a cake around that lot I'll come and do some serious weeding for you.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 17:41 »
I don't know if this will fit the bill.
It is a recipes for a vegan carrot cake.

I don't think I saw any thing on your list that is in it.  I a m not a vegan or a veggietarian but did this for a customer and it did actually taste nice.
300g grated carrot
8oz sugar
11oz flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup orange juice  about 2 medium oranges
8 fl oz oil
4 oz raisins.
Whack all the ingredients together and put in a tin roughly 12" by 8" at 180C for about 40 -50 minutes.

Not sure if your little one can eat any oils like sunflower, or rapeseed. You might try rice oil.

Incredibly difficult for you and your little one.  Hope this may be of use to you.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:44 »
Wow will pick up the stuff and give it a go. Will adapt bits if needed thank you so much  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:11 »
Hi BQ and nice to have you back. Congratulations on number three Florence too  :D

Can Florence tolerate rice milk (which has no dairy in it whatsoever)?  For food ideas, you could think about looking at asian food, which is often very plain and does not always have to be spicy. Dhals for example are fine without that famous knob of butter, and lots of veggies can cook up very nicely.

If you would like any more cake recipes let me know, as my son had a vegan diet for many years, and I do have several

and enjoy the jam maker  :D

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:15 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36 »
Hi BQ and nice to have you back. Congratulations on number three Florence too  :D

Can Florence tolerate rice milk (which has no dairy in it whatsoever)?  For food ideas, you could think about looking at asian food, which is often very plain and does not always have to be spicy. Dhals for example are fine without that famous knob of butter, and lots of veggies can cook up very nicely.

If you would like any more cake recipes let me know, as my son had a vegan diet for many years, and I do have several

and enjoy the jam maker  :D

We have been told rice milk is no good for her because she is too little and it doesn't contain what she needs. She does have oatley in cooking.

Any recipes when you have time would be most welcome, we are still firmly in the denial phrase with florences allergies and I often still sit in the doctors wondering who's poor child they are talking about.

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 14:10 by Yorkie »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47 »
Welcome back BQ :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 14:42 »
Well how strange was this.....  Browsing the new cookbooks in the supermarket, I have a cookery collection of a few hundred but still can't help myself looking :wub: :wub:

and I came upon this book and thought of you.

It is called 'The Intollerant Gourmet' by Pippa Kendrick published by Collins. Had a quick flick and it looked quite good.

Checked it out on Amaz.n and it had a lot of reviews mainly 5 stars.

it costs £9.49 at Sains....'s or £14 on Amaz.n.

You might want to have a look.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 19:18 »
Will take a look at that one, I am sure once I get my head around Florence I will start to be bait more with it. I had never really had experience of allergies until my baby turned into a balloon after a morsel of rice pudding (scariest moment of my life)

Thanks for fixing the quote I am guessing it was aunty Sally  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25 »
well welcome back and congratulations and it sounds like your very busy , im sure you will get some great recipies on here .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 18:43 »
I'll look out a few recipes for you  :D

Here is an old fave from Linda McCartney juzhed up a bit to get rid of dairy, which my son liked a lot!

Lemon wafers
4oz non dairy spread (olive oil ones are available)
4 oz unrefined caster sugar
4oz plain flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3tbs fresh lemon juice

Cream fat and sugar until creamy and light. Add sifted flour, ginger and lemon juice and beat well (I used to add this in two lots to make it easier to incorporate)

Put teaspoonfuls on a well greased baking tray, or use a teflon liner. (Leave plenty of space as they double in size)

Bake at 190C Gas 5 for about 8-10 mins until the edges are crisp and the middles pale golden. remove from tray with palette knife and cool on a wire rack

They keep well in a tin, if you have any left to keep of course  :nowink:

I used to buy this mag back in the day and the websie has loads of good recipes, many of which exclude ingredients from Florence's list of no-nos

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegancakerecipes/Vegan_Cake_Recipes.htm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 19:28 by sunshineband »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 20:57 »
Ohhh I feel a bake on this weekend how exciting. Poor florence is so bored with her meat and veg diet.  ???

wighty

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 22:02 »
I'm dairy intolerent and either use goats milk,goats and sheep cheese and a spread called 'Pure' which I get in Tesco.  I don't like Soya stuff and Pure offer either a Soya based one or another one which is veg based.  I don't know about her other intolerences and am afraid I have no suggestions there.

xx
12 hours is a long time !

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2023, 18:14
by Growster...
xx
How long do you think this will keep for?

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 19:45
by chrissie B
xx
how long ???

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2013, 13:48
by starry
xx
how long will my pumpkin keep?

Started by dmg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 21:54
by dmg

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.