What is loam?

• 10 Replies

peter and jean

What is loam?
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:29 »
Hi all. It has slowed down a little for the last few days due to (stinky) work but still managed an hour here and there. I have read that if I stack all the grass/topsoil it will eventually turn into loam. What exactly is loam, should it be stacked a certain way and how long does it take to break down? Also can I chuck it all in the compost pile? Thanks P & J
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:48 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What is loam?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51 »
I've moved you over here so more people see your post  :)

Loam is the term applied to growing soil.  People talk about well-drained loam, or fertile loam.  It is your growing ideal - nice soil that turns over well.

Stacks of weedy grass and topsoil turn into lovely loam  ;)  Just turn it green side down and stack into a mound.  It also does well to cover it to prevent weeds growing into the surface.

peter and jean

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 16:14 »
Well it's all stacked (chucked) and covered. How long should I leave it before I can dig it into our heavy topsoil?

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 16:26 »
If you use a black-coloured cover it will retain more heat than a white one. Heat will assist the breakdown of your grass/soil mix into something you can later add to your clay soil, so I'd leave it covered until late spring.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 17:46 »
The so-called 'perfect loam' consists of roughly equal proportions of silt, sand, clay and humus, which means you have the best compromise possible between the best and worst features of having too much or little of any of them (but it still won't be perfect for absolutely everything you want to grow.)

How close your stacked turves come to turning into perfect loam therefore depends on what sort of soil the grass was growing on, but it will still be better than almost any soil improver you actually have to pay for in a garden centre.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

peter and jean

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 20:51 »
thanks for all the replies. tomorrows job therefore will be making a lovely tidy pile of turf and covering it over. cheers J & P

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 08:47 »

Stacks of weedy grass and topsoil turn into lovely loam  ;)  Just turn it green side down and stack into a mound.  It also does well to cover it to prevent weeds growing into the surface.

I understood you have to stack it alternately, i.e. Grass against grass..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 13:30 »

You may be right, but I've always just done green side down and it works fine  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 15:42 »

I think that maybe if you're not going to cover it. It would exclude light from the turves to prevent regrowth. Covering is the best bet I think
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 19:31 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

peter and jean

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 16:45 »
So I made my loam "pile"  today amongst other things. The council dropped off some wheelie bins so I spent the best part of 2 hours filling them up with glass. 5 hours in total spent on the allotment today and it looks like I've achived * all.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 20:35 »
5 hours in total spent on the allotment today and it looks like I've achived * all.

The glass picking is a thankless task, I'll give you that, but better it be in the bin than in your fingers.  Your loam pile is like banking futures for lovely soil to grow in.  You can look on it in pride and say 'I made that'  :D  Don't even get me started on the wonders of building up a compost bin  :lol:

xx
LOAM

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 11:35
by dumpling

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 38 queries.