Broken Middle Toe - Advice Needed ****PHOTO ADDED****

• 23 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 23:37 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Are they movable ? Can you straighten the toes to strap them ?  That would help to maintain good circulation.

The main one feels a bit rigid as the joint is a bit swolen I think.  My dad is staying with me till monday and hes a first aider and said hell have ago tomorrow.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 23:39 »
Let us know how it goes pookey  :D

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 00:27 »
As i have experienced this many times before when buying my warren pullets, some tend to have deformed toes just like the one in the picture. Tends to happen during brooding/hatching....kind of a birth deformity. Not to worry unless the birds toe has only just gone like this. If you have just bought the bird like this the i assure you 100% it is fine. Do not splint or cast as it is pointless and uncomfortable for the bird.

Pleasure to be of help  8)

Bodger

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 06:22 »
Kizza is correct. Those are deformed toes and should be left alone. Not very nice to look at but the bird should cope with life. If the bird has been bought from a commercial source, it should be taken back and exchanged.
This sort of problem should be sorted out early on in the chicks life and it should have been culled.

woodburner

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 09:31 »
The bruising makes it sound like it's recent damage, but if that is the case it wouldn't stand on it and would keep lifting it up as soon as it touched the ground.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 09:46 »
Quote from: "kizza"
As i have experienced this many times before when buying my warren pullets, some tend to have deformed toes just like the one in the picture. Tends to happen during brooding/hatching....kind of a birth deformity. Not to worry unless the birds toe has only just gone like this. If you have just bought the bird like this the i assure you 100% it is fine. Do not splint or cast as it is pointless and uncomfortable for the bird.

Pleasure to be of help  8)

Unfortunately, I cant be certain if they were already like this. I certernally didnt notice them on day one.  There is a chance they could have been trapped in the door i suppose.  I know this doesnt help.

maybe I should just leave alone and see if the bird starts to seem uncomfortable (not walking on it etc).  I will let you know.  I will also call the breeder and ask if he remembers the birds toes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 10:34 »
Thanks Kizza and Bodger, It was on my min that they could be a birth defect.

I don't think the breeder will remember the problem  :roll:   S/he was at pains to show you their legs, so I suspect that was to conceal their feet by holding them to streetch out the legs  :evil:

Jellyhead

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 16:19 »
Is there anything else I could use?  I have a boots about 25 miles if they would sell it, although I dont have a car till Tuesday....[/quote]

They do Arnica gel and cream, and while you're there get yourself some Tea Tree cream, both these things are brilliant for chooks cuts and bruises, oh and not forgetting the kids and us too :oops:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol: A must for all first aid boxes.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

swede

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 16:57 »
Quote from: "pookey"
my nearest sainsburys is 80 miles away!!!  I have to drive 8 miles for bread or milk!

Is there anything else I could use?  I have a boots about 25 miles if they would sell it, although I dont have a car till Tuesday....

Very good photo of the foot. I think the break is an old one, most probably done when she was newly hatched. The foot colour looks good. The nails would be black and the foot would be very swollen with a recent break, especially so dramatically mis-shaped. If you try strapping the toes straight and they are earlier breaks the poor bird will suffer all over again. swede
Old age is a gift to all in time.Enjoy it!

exclamation
Red lump on hen's foot!!!!! Photo now added

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 23:33
by Kym503
xx
Does anyone keep Andalusians? *Photo finally added*

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 20:16
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Frozen pond Photo added

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 22:35
by slowef
xx
Chook isn't well (poss eggbound)- any thoughts please? Photo of egg added

Started by shiatsusu on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 15:58
by shiatsusu

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.