Ludicrous oversupply of seeds in packets

• 9 Replies

hamstergbert

Ludicrous oversupply of seeds in packets
« on: July 28, 2009, 20:33 »
Is there anywhere that flogs packets of seeds that contain modest numbers of seeds?  For example, packets of most tomato varieties each contain a squillion seeds of that variety, great if you have forty acres under glass and want to become a major producer but a heck of a waste if you just want a handful of each of four or five varieties.  Unless you know someone (in fact several someones) to swap seed with (ooh, stoppit matron) you either buy several different packets (and get the labelling mixed up but that is another issue) and are left with 95% of the contents unsown, or become a monoculturist and only grow the one variety with the consequent single productive period, or spend more money buying individual plants at the garden centre which is not really what I hoped to do.

I stretch me seeds over as many years as I can keep 'em viable but still end up chucking loads away.  I only have my garden so there are no suitable 'adjacent plots' and sadly none of the neighbours seem greatly interested in veggie growing so my scope for localised swapping is somewhat limited, although I am reasonably successful at persuading them to take the unwanted ready to bed out spares of flowers from the tiny pinches of seeds out of stuff like mesembryanthemum (average contents about 30000 or so)

Obviously the problem is lessened with the F1 types, courgettes and stuff with their average contents six and what looks like a broken half one (and for the courgettes and most of the other 'big seed' ones every one is a loved and cherished friend) , but for all the bread and butter small seed stuff it remains an annoyance.

No doubt this is already well known to everyone except me (aaaargh paranoia is back), but I seem to be having a senior moment when looking for the subject.   Any pointers would be gratefully received so hopefully I can plan to make 2010 a more efficient seed purchasing season in Casa Hamstergbert!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Ludicrous oversupply of seeds in packets
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 21:08 »
I think that a lot of the cost of the pkt of seeds.... is the production cost of the pkt! So they can put fewer seeds in but the price doesn't go down by much :(
That's why people buy from cheaper suppliers...that way the seed you don't use over a couple of years can be thrown away without too much loss to your pocket :(
Alan Roman does reasonable priced pkts, as do Wilkos and the rest :)

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 22:18 »
I never ever ever chuck seeds away. Ever.

They all get sown. Eventually. Or swapped for things I want to try. MAny got swapped last year to increase my tomato and chilli collection.

Plus I seed save and swap loads.

On another gardening forum I mod for, we have a pass the parcel seed swap - we have 13 parcels doing the rounds at the minute - so lots of newbies get to choose seeds that they would never buy and everyone else takes new stuff and swaps for seeds they have got surplus. It is only really parsnip and carrot that doesn't last from year to year; and most of the seeds in the packets are not these.

We started last year with 2 parcels, and lots of seasoned gardeners donated huge numbers of seeds; which is why we have 13 now.

hectic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:26 »
Keep an eye out at the beginning of the year as loads of websites offer a variety of free seeds, I signed up to a couple of them, the beeb and someone else but they come in manageable quantities and are ideal for the 'normal' garden - best of all they are free!

OK so you dont get the wide variety of seeds you can buy but if you want some toms, letttuce, radish, onion etc you cant go wrong ;)

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:06 »
The National Trust were giving away butternut squash seeds a couple of weeks ago when we were in Devon, the lady said to take a couple of packets as nobody seemed that interested  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:26 »
Don't forget our Swapshop & Recycle Forum

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=7.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:35 »
I've often thought this too hamster that it's such a waste.    :dry:

Maybe if the GYO movement keeps growing they will have to put fewer seeds in each packet, after all, their stocks can only provide so many seeds.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 13:21 »
bet they'll still charge the same amount of money though  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

savbo

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 20:13 »
I love the idea of the pass the parcel... hmm wonder if we could get one going round Manchester?

M

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:07 »
try moreg.co.uk or alan romans

xx
Free packets of seeds

Started by Monty1960 on Frugal Living

23 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 09:12
by vetskh
xx
The Works - Mr Fothergills seeds - 2 packets for £1

Started by Auntiemogs on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 18:27
by Auntiemogs
xx
Five packets of assorted squash seeds free, pay only for P&P

Started by nipper31 on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 23:58
by aqua
xx
T&M 10 packets of seed for £10

Started by Willow_Warren on Frugal Living

18 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 14:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 32 queries.