Removing growing point from pumpkins/squash

• 4 Replies

Yana

Removing growing point from pumpkins/squash
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:18 »
My jack o'lantern pumpkins and Turks turban squashes have all set fruit but there is still growth well beyond the point where the fruit is. I can see very small fruits and lots of trailing leaves,  but the fruits are not likely to grow big enough now to be of any use.
What is the best thing to do? Cut the growing points of each of the trailers two leaves beyond where the large fruit has set or leave be? I am sure I should be doing something because all the energy will go into the small fruit won't it?
Thanks in advance for any advice.   :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

BabbyAnn

Re: Removing growing point from pumpkins/squash
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44 »
I can see very small fruits and lots of trailing leaves,  but the fruits are not likely to grow big enough now to be of any use.

At a wild guess, I'd say you had at least another good 6-8 or more weeks before the first frost so still plenty of time for those set fruit to get big enough with not much detrimental effect on the others.  But if you really want fewer fruits on a vine to get the full benefits, then by all means take off the baby ones.  I never bother nipping shoots off as it is in a plants nature to throw out new ones which takes just as much energy. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52 »
If they are small or medium size squash, then I agree there is still time for the littl'uns to grow to eating size :)

Maybe not the big'uns or pumpkins  :unsure: You can always chop some bits off them to make sure the ones already set get bigger, or if the leaves/shoots are in the way, though ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:58 »
My Uchiki Kuri Winter Squashes are about 12' long now (with a few side shoots that I can't actually reach to cut off without doing myself a mischief!) and I too am debating whether to try to divert the plant's energy into the existing fruit, some of which are still quite small.

I've noticed that the plants have rooted in several places where the nodes happened to be touching the soil, which I'm hoping will add to the plant's resources, so I may well just leave them to it.

Bit of an experiment because I've only grown these a couple of times, and a gamble on the weather too, but hopefully more to potentially gain than lose.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yana

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09 »
My Uchiki Kuri Winter Squashes are about 12' long now (with a few side shoots that I can't actually reach to cut off without doing myself a mischief!) and I too am debating whether to try to divert the plant's energy into the existing fruit, some of which are still quite small.

I've noticed that the plants have rooted in several places where the nodes happened to be touching the soil, which I'm hoping will add to the plant's resources, so I may well just leave them to it.

Bit of an experiment because I've only grown these a couple of times, and a gamble on the weather too, but hopefully more to potentially gain than lose.
Mine are rooting too JayG and it seems to be near this point that the small fruits are growing.
I'm going to  take off the really small pumpkins and leave the squashes to do their thing. Just happy I've got some this year. Hopefully I can keep hold of them....... Last year my best pumpkin was stolen. Bit pointless as it wasn't ripe.  :mad:
Thanks all.  :)

xx
Growing squash/pumpkins with John's book.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 02:27
by chriscross1966
xx
Removing male flowers from courgettes and squash

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 02:31
by BobE
xx
Pumpkins & squash

Started by jcbuz1970 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 15:12
by jcbuz1970
xx
When to cut squash and pumpkins

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 08:56
by bigben

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 41 queries.