Can a beehive stand next to an ornamental pond?

• 29 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
Can a beehive stand next to an ornamental pond?
« on: March 28, 2010, 17:02 »
Would it disturb the bees flying in if there was a small pond about a meter in front of the hive? I really want to get a small beehive, and my husband's brother-in-law keeps bees. He said he would help us out with caring for the bees, but I don't want to bother asking him to bring the hive if it is common knowledge that bees don't like a waterfront property! It is the only spot on my plot where I could position the hive where it would be out of the way and have a good 2 meters of clear space for the air traffic.

Paul Plots

Re: Can a beehive stand next to an ornamental pond?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 17:50 »
Perhaps it would make a difference if the "front-door" faced away from the water?

Someone on here is bound to know  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 19:17 »
Are you permitted to keep bees on your allotment gardgydja ?

Check your tenancy agreement and with the Council.  Most councils require you to go on a bee course and put a 6ft fence in front of the hive to force the bees upwards to avoid anoyance to other plotters.

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 21:13 »
 Well that scuppers the whole plan then. We aren't allowed any structure taller than 120 cm :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 21:16 »
Not even Runner bean frames  :ohmy:

Do check it out with the council and see what they say first.  The regulations may be completely different in Sweden.

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 21:19 »
Thanks Aunt Sally, I will do. If they allow huge willow cabins then maybe I can build a wall of the stuff haha! There are too few bees around in my opinion!

GilbertJessop

• Habitat Aid's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 21:21 »
It wouldn't worry the bees (who need water nearby) but it would be a nuisance while manipulating them...you might well get wet!

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:59 »
 :) So they NEED water nearby! If (and this is a big if) the council says yes, then I will have the hive in a south-east facing corner, backed up against two walls; one of sweet peas (the kind neighbour's) and one of just a wooden fence (the dour neighbour's). There would be dry access on either side of the hive down to the garden path, but there would be a small pond for frogs about a meter in front of the base of the hive, in between the two paths. So the thought was, they could fly in over the pond and then land on the shelf in front of their door.
It would only be a small hobby sized hive with a small swarm so it shouldn't be too tricky to move it in and out along the paths, but if you fall into the pond it's only small haha!

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 08:15 »
  >:(
She said no. No bees or animals or poultry allowed on the allotments. In typical swedish fashion she said, "You would have to rent a special piece of land from us for beekeeping, but not on the plots because people can be allergic to bees." I pointed out that it's on the plot we need the bees to help produce our food, and that people who are allergic carry with them a kit (my own mother, for example) because you can always meet a bee anywhere, but she is not paid to listen to reason, apparently.

It was only a dream!  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07 »
unfortunately not everybody knows that they are allergic to them until after they have been stung :(. Also you have to take into consideration a lot of people have phobias about bees and seeing a swarm could be upsetting for them (although they can cope with the odd one or two).
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40 »
If i remember right having a pond near the beehive is a big plus, but you also need a straw to breathe through. :)

I`ve learned a lot from Tom & Jerry. :)

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:42 »
 :nowink:  :lol: :lol:

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:20 »
unfortunately not everybody knows that they are allergic to them until after they have been stung :(. Also you have to take into consideration a lot of people have phobias about bees and seeing a swarm could be upsetting for them (although they can cope with the odd one or two).

Bees are pretty benign, to be fair... And one can't allow for every eventuality.
Some random person not knowing they are allergic to bee stings is hardly a solid reason for disallowing someone to keep bees.
Also, seeing a swarm does not put one in danger as such either. A swarm is even less likely to be aggressive that bees with a hive.
I know we live in a risk-assessment world gone mad, but seeing a swarm could be upsetting? heck, I'm upset every time I see Gordon Brown's ugly mug on the telly telling us about how he's saving the world, but I don't see anyone saving me from him....

Too many people have been watching too many disaster movies about so-called killer bees....

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26 »
sorry but many people do have a fear of bees and wasps and although this might be irrational to others it is a major concern for those with that fear. Comparing a phobia to a dislike of Gordon Brown is in my opinion a bit thoughless.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:48 by joyfull »

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:01 »

I'm sorry too, but peoples phobias are their own concern. Trying to bend other peoples' will to your own because of your own irrational fear is just as, if not even more, thoughtless.
Besides, I do have a phobia about rotten politicians like Gordon Brown. Although to be fair, I don't advocate doing away with the political system as a result. :)

xx
D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Beehive in other people's gardens...

Started by poultrygeist on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:05
by poultrygeist
xx
Advice re Dadant Beehive offer

Started by Carrotcake on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 07:21
by Carrotcake
xx
How to look after a koi pond?

Started by nuzuki on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 21:28
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 32 queries.