sand baths

• 6 Replies

boosmummy

sand baths
« on: July 21, 2011, 14:34 »
as a non chicken keeper who wants to be one  :) can someone please explain the importance to me of sand baths and why chooks like to have one? and how do you have your set up? like a litter tray or a recycle tub?

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: sand baths
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 14:41 »
Mine just dig holes in the dirt and roll around a bit  :D  Their run is big dirt area that is over hung with massive oak trees... It is very sheltered and dry (most of the time) and they just dig dig dig and the jump in!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 15:24 »
mine also like to make their own at the base of trees but occasionally they will make them just where you least expect them to - causing me to fall down flat on my face  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 21:33 »
the sand is dust which they throw over themselves, it keeps them cool and clean and obviously feels nice if you watch how they enjoy themselves.  We have used a tray, needs to have quite deep sides as they do throw it around, but agree that hens will make their own!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

kegs

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 13:59 »
I bought a deep sided tray, and some sand, which went in the tray with some nice dry soil and promptly got ignored in favour of dry soil in a flower bed against a nice warm brick wall.   ::)  They'll find and make their own dust bath.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 17:02 »
Mine have an old tyre to go into, Flo was basking in it yesterday  :tongue2:

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05 »
They rub themsleves against the sand, this cleans off dead skin, parasites and eggs.
Generaly, they will make their own, but it has to be dry, so you might need to provide one in winter.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 36 queries.