Will Apple Tree Buds Grow Back after being removed from trun

• 12 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
I bought some apple trees last year (maidens) and planted them in pots till I decided what I wanted to do with them.  I want to train them into espaliers but the 1st laterals are too high.  There are scars on the lower trunk where the buds were removed.  If I cut the trunk down, will some of the 'scared buds' regrow.  

Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 13:29 »
Personally I don't  think they will, I would not do it. Could you grow as cordons instead ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 15:41 »
If you're talking about the little twiggy thing in the pot, I agree with Richy that regrowth of taken out ones is unlikely.

However, I see possible bud on the right side just above the bottom of the pic. If you carefully cut out a small wedge shaped notch (with the straight in cut below the bud), its possible to get a lateral growth out of that spot. I'd look for a similar bud on the opposite side and do the same. In a few weeks there should be some signs of growth out of those buds as you've stopped the growth checking hormones from reaching those buds. If it works, you can later try for more buds higher up. If nothing happens, then go with cordon.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 20:15 »
The trunk is the thicker bit of wood on the right, the stick like thing in the pot is a grape vine.

I will try the notches and then if not go with the cordons, I suppose cordons take up so little room, I could always buy a few more trees with low buds and have a row of espaliers as well.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 20:30 »
Quote from: "pookey"
The trunk is the thicker bit of wood on the right, the stick like thing in the pot is a grape vine.

I will try the notches and then if not go with the cordons, I suppose cordons take up so little room, I could always buy a few more trees with low buds and have a row of espaliers as well.

Try your loacal aldi i bought some cracking trees from there last week i got 3  ellestree  bramley ( cooker) de comice (pear)
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 21:26 »
From what I remember, you need to start espalier pruning in the very first year to promote the growth of side shoots, also you would need a suitable rootstock, IMHO the fruit trees from Aldi and everywhere else would be unsuitable, you will need to find a nursery rather than a multiple chain selling fruit trees on a seasonal basis.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 23:40 »
Same info applies. I see a potential bud on the right side, just above the bottom of the 2nd row of blocks. You could always do step-over apple tree/espalier with this one.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 11:18 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
From what I remember, you need to start espalier pruning in the very first year to promote the growth of side shoots, also you would need a suitable rootstock, IMHO the fruit trees from Aldi and everywhere else would be unsuitable, you will need to find a nursery rather than a multiple chain selling fruit trees on a seasonal basis.

Thanks Rich, why is the IMHO not suitable and how do you know what root stock they are on as the ones I bought fro Lidl dont say what stock it is, just that they grow to 3/4 metres high.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:02 »
M26 rootstock can be used for very small espalier trees but most commonly used is MM106 which grows a little larger.  The tall hedge type espaliers are generally grown on MM111.

I've dragged that back from when I worked a East Malling Research Station (the home of rootstocks)  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 12:03 »
PS.  You may be able to guess what rootstock it is growing on by it's general vigour !

gobs

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 20:14 »
Yes, you will get different sized, whatever shape depending on rootstock, the 3-4m ones are most likely on one of the semi-dwarfing rootstocks.

Yes, they will almost certainly grow, not just what we can see, but from other dormant buds, too.

Is it worth it though? You are going to lose a few years fruit there on re-training them to something else than they are. That's the question for you to decide, really.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 20:25 »
Quote from: "pookey"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Thanks Rich, why is the IMHO not suitable and how do you know what root stock they are on as the ones I bought fro Lidl dont say what stock it is, just that they grow to 3/4 metres high.

Just because as a general rule you don't know what rootstock they are on ?

Like Aunt Sally says what rootstock you have will affect the vigour of the tree, if it's too vigorous then it would be very hard to keep under control as an espalier, I'd imagine that most of the fruit trees sold in Aldi etc from your description would be on a M2 rootstock or similar which is about 75% of a full size tree so it may be too vigorous. When you are embarking on a time consuming venture like growing espalier's it usually pays to know exactly what you are getting so it matches up to your requirements. You could retrain them but you will probably loose a few years fruiting so in the end it may be like starting off with whip any way .

Don't forget you also need to choose a spur bearing cultivar not a tip bearing one

Looking in my book on pruning it says espaliers are best started as a whip  ( 1 year old ) or a feathered tree so again the one's in the supermarket are probably unsuitable as they are probably 3-5 yrs at a guess.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 12:41 »
I dont intend to let mine grow any more that 5ft so they are easy to maintain and easy for the kids to pick the frit off i do this will all of my fruit trees so as for the root stck it does not matter as they will not be allowed to grow high any way. So it does not realy matter where they are from. I look at the quality and taste of the fruit. Ellestree are about the best tasting IMHO for the kiddies it has a very soft flesh and being my daughter probably eat 100 last year i have not gone far wrong

Jim

xx
What to grow under an apple tree

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 08:46
by MoRo
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 34 queries.