What should I grow in each of my two greenhouses ?

• 4 Replies

trogg

I have two greenhouses and want to grow tomatoes, cucumbers,several types of peppers and a honeydew type melon.

The largest greenhouse is 10'x8' and is in shade most of the time after 4pm, the smaller one 8'x6' is in full sun most of the time,

I have been told that it's not best to grow tomatoes and cucumbers together because one needs humidity and the other doesn't... what about melon and the peppers ?

thanks
boing boing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What should I grow in each of my two greenhouses ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 14:26 »
the question about toms and cukes has been asked may times before, and the answer is always you can grow both in the same greenhouse..........lots of us do just that ;)

I don't grow melons but everything else just gets lumped together. I could seperate them as I have 2 g/houses as you do, but I don't think it is necessary :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 14:37 »
I've also heard that cucumbers prefer a more humid atmosphere than tomatoes, but I don't know what else on your list also does if you were planning on having one "dry" and one humid greenhouse.

I'm in my first year with my first (and only!) greenhouse so like most people I will be growing everything together and hoping for the best, although I will try to provide a more humid microclimate for the cukes when I work out how to do it!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 15:04 »
I used to grow Tomatoes/cucumbers/chillies/peppers and mellons in a 6ftx8ft very full greenhouse and always got good crops.

I used to feed regularly with comfrey tea and water every 3 days.
The mellons were grown in 12" pots on the bench and i trained them up a trellis to the eves of the roof.

I did sometimes get a poorer crop of chillies but found this was down to me watering them too much  ;)

So i would say that in my experience of a meager 7 years that there is no need to seperate them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 15:06 by stompy »

trogg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 15:51 »
thanks for your replies so far, I did grow tomatoes and cucumbers together last year and all was ok .

was thinking of growing tomatoes and peppers in the large greenhouse and the melon and cucumbers in the other, will be planting them into the ground (boarders) rather than leaving them in the pots.

I am a bit late with everything though  :( tomatoes only 6" tall , peppers 3" tall, melons 6" and the cucumbers haven't come through so will have to start them again  ::)

clip
What's better than 2 greenhouses ?

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2014, 13:57
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Some Help with greenhouses please

Started by Mark Barry on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2019, 20:59
by jezza
xx
heating greenhouses

Started by jenricks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2020, 22:32
by jezza
xx
Polycarbonate greenhouses - yay or nay?

Started by Casey76 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 16:28
by lazza

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.