Poll

As you may remember I asked a question about one of my hens pecking out the others feathers, and she is still doing it now. I have tried everything from a mirror to stuffing treats inside the cracks of a pin cone.  I also tried applying Anti- pecking spra

dont mind
0 (0%)
dont mind
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

bordom in chickens

• 3 Replies

frizzlemad

bordom in chickens
« on: April 12, 2011, 19:11 »
Do chickens pull out each others feathers because their bored ??
As we are starting to find tht the chickens end up having bald patches :S

Any advice will be helpful involving this sort of topic thank you.  :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 19:12 by noshed »

pigeonpie

Re: bordom in chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 19:33 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Yes chickens can pluck each other's feathers out if they become bored or stressed.  My chickens are all rescue hens from battery farms and when they first are released they can be pretty much bald. 
I understand that it can be difficult for some people but honestly feel that chickens should have twice as much room as most people think they need.  They need room to scratch and stretch their wings as this helps to relieve their boredom and they also need space to get out of each other's way if there is any bullying.
In the meantime have you tried hanging greens (they particularly like dandelion leaves) for them to pick at in the run?  If they have enough space throwing a scattering of wheat on the floor for them to pick and scratch at can also take their minds of trying to eat each other! 
If they have pulled out feathers and the areas are sore they may then start to peck more as they are cannibals and do love the sight of blood.  You could buy some purple spray (go to your local pet shop or farm stores and explain the problem) which is an anti pecking spray that can contain an antibiotic to help them heal and to put them off pecking as it tastes horrible.
Anything else you want to know just ask and someone should be able to help.
Good luck.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 21:31 »
Hi Frizzlemad and welcome.

I think boredom can be a major issue for chickens and I think all backyard chickeners need to think about how to give their birds some "enrichment" in their lives.  After all, we don't want to end up running a backyard battery farm!

Depending how much room you have in the run, you might like to think about adding some new levels - for example a tree stump, log or branch they can hop up and down off.  If you have the height you could add a potted shrub - but be aware that bored chickens will probably pull off all its leaves and dig up the roots!  :D

Interesting new foods that they have to work at are also a big hit, although it might take them a while to realise they are food.  As Pigeonpie suggested you can hang a bunch of weeds, or a piece of apple, or a cabbage and let them demolish it.

Also think of ways they can get out of each others' line of sight.  A plant pot tipped on its side or a board leaning on the side of the run might help.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 22:01 »
Here's an article about behavioural enrichment for captive birds in zoos:
http://www.seaza.org/scientific_papers/behavioral_enrichment_for_birds_.htm

Obviously a lot of it doesn't apply to backyard chickens, but a lot does.  It talks about behaviour like aggression and feather-pecking as a result of boredom.  It also says that if a bird has been bored for a long time, it adapts to its boring environment and might resist changes, not wanting to interact with new 'toys'.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
how do i sex my chickens?

Started by eshclabob on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 15:53
by eshclabob

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 45 queries.