Tumours??

• 7 Replies

Prod

Tumours??
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:06 »
I bought some 6 week old pekins from a reputable breeder but one of the hens started to go 'off' In the last two days large pink growths have appeared on her head and the back of her neck which I think are tumours. Does anyone have an opinion?  Thanks
IMG_3997.JPG

Sassy

Re: Tumours??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 13:51 »
Sorry cannot help. Have you contacted the breeder in case there have been others with these growths? Can only suggest a vet  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 13:10 »
Remove all of the chicks well away from your own.
quarantine the one with tumors away from the other chicks
Tumors
lymphoid leukosis ...normally chickens over 6 months
Marek...shows 4 weeks +   are they vaccinated?  Also 1 wing , 1 leg stick out, disorientated, twisted neck(torticollis). Some breeders keep birds with turkeys...not a good idea.

Haynes Chicken Manual

Contact seller and return if poss.   If not cull all the chicks.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 19:08 »
The guy I bought from is a reputable breeder, in business for 30yrs. I emailed him & I am taking her back tomorrow. I bought 7 chicks from him all about 6/7 weeks and they all look healthy & fine and are already separate as I quarantine new birds for at least a month and in fact these will not mix with the others as they are bantams. I am pretty sure it is not mareks. Other than the lumps, whatever they are, she is running round eating and drinking and doesn't seem any different.  I'll let you know......... :wacko:

Prod

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 18:32 »
Took my hen back today, the guy is really good, offered me two as replacements as I had to travel a bit. Anyway he is 99% sure that it is an insect bite of some kind which has formed an abcess.  She is still eating/drinking and running round and her comb has not paled so he is going to treat her and reckons she will survive.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 20:17 »
Brilliant news, could be the sheer amount of mossies around at the mo.

Keep an eye on the others as I know you will.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:42 »
Glad to hear it is something as simple as that. The biting insects seem to be biting a lot more than they usually do. I look as though I gave a bad dose of something following 8 horse fly bites - all on the same day, and stung by a wasp/bee that I did not even see yesterday! A friends dog who is stopping with us was also bitten by something over the weekend and had a bad reaction - had to call the vet and half a Piriton was prescribed, did the trick. Glad you got to the bottom of it and that you clearly have a very responsible breeder. :D

Prod

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 19:25 »
Yes  I must admit I have been bitten so many times this year I look like a dalmation. The horse flies are the worse.  Anyway, yes it is good news and as I said the guy is really good.  There was an advert on freecycle for 5 call ducks, which I picked up on the way, we did a swap, he took two of the ducks and gave me a pair of lavender pekins. When I said that I was given the ducks he said that is was irrelevant how I got them, so all in all I had a good day & he knows I will buy from him again, he is looking for a Lemon Pekin cockerel for me. 

xx
Tumours?

Started by Tessa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 23:23
by Tessa
clip
Update on Tumours?---wasps

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 19:10
by grinling

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 34 queries.