V.A.T

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

V.A.T
« on: April 19, 2024, 10:49 »
something I'm not sure about so what to do ask someone who knowns on this site when I buy veg seed from one of our suppliers [growers seed] non pictorial packets I understand veg seed is V.A.T free I assume this includes potato seed and onion sets? but V.A.T is included  on flower seed so we pay V.A.T on flower seed bought from this supplier

so Q. do we pay V.A.T  on pictorial packets of veg seed bought from a home gardener's  seed catalogue or garden centre? as I presume the V.A.T  is included in the flower seed price from both ?

Q. I also assume V.A.T is included in the compost we buy as home gardeners  BUT if I was a commercial grower buying compost we would be able to claim the V.A.T if I was V.A.T registered the same must also apply to flower seed but as I said not veg seed I welcome your replies on this topic

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: V.A.T
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 14:54 »
Most seeds and plants that are things designed for humans to eat are VAT free.  That includes seed potatoes and onion sets, as well as fruit trees, soft fruit and small herb plants.

I may be wrong on this as it is a while since I worked at a garden centre, but I think a 2L pot is the limit for VAT free on herbs. Anything over that size is classed as an ornamental plant and there is VAT on all ornamental plants, seeds and bulbs.

I don’t think it makes any difference if the veg seed pack is pictorial or plain as regards VAT.

Fertilisers and additives like lime are VAT free, but I think you are right about bagged compost having VAT included in the price.

wighty

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 18:01 »
I do the vat return for our shop  and Newshoot is correct that veg seed is 0% as it is in the food chain.  A few flowers are also 0% (Nastursiums come to mind).  Grass seed is also 0% as it is also part of the food chain, apparently!  It doesn't matter whether it has a plain packet or one with a picture.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 09:40 »
I’d forgotten about the grass seed  :lol:

Animal feed for farm animals, poultry and game birds are all zero rated, so there is some strange logic to it. Mind you I don’t see how buying a box of grass seed in the garden centre really adds to the food chain.

There are odd rules about wild bird food as well.  If it is pre-bagged it is standard rate VAT, but loose mixes sold by weight and not pre-packed are not …  or something like that  :unsure:

wighty

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 17:35 »
Cows eat grass, we drink their milk, they die and we eat their flesh so they are considered to be in the food chain.   (sorry to be so blunt).

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 09:58 »
that makes interesting reading and to note what is non V.A.T  and what other horticultural  products are registered  for V.A.T those replies makes it more understanding of what we are paying for
  many thanks for replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 20:18 »
My understanding was vat is a 'luxury item' tax. So water is vat free but coca cola isnt. It's the same with biscuits and cakes isn't it? One of them is classed as essential food stuff where the other is classed as luxury

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 46 queries.