Mobile phone question

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Mobile phone question
« on: November 08, 2019, 16:51 »

I have a very basic £10 mobile phone (O2) that I keep in my car in case of an emergency. It has about £20 in credit. I maybe use it about every six months and apart from when I use it it's switched off. Someone tried to call me on it today and was told by automatic response that the number was not in use. Same happened to me when I tried to call it from a land-line. If I call the land-line using the mobile phone, the land-line rings out and there is a connection. Anyone any idea what may be wrong here?

Growster...

Re: Mobile phone question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 17:32 »
I think we do the same as you with O2, Alan.

When I ditched the monthly direct debit after retiring, they mentioned that I needed to make two calls every six months 'to keep the line open' (whatever that means).

I just call Mrs Growster, say one word (usually clean/rude/otherwise), then ring off after wasting a few pence.

May be worth asking O2, but do it by email, otherwise they'll probably charge you...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 19:57 »
Mine is a Vodaphone pay as you go, they let me know when my £10 needs topping up, approximately once a year or two, but I do not have a built in "use it or lose it".    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 21:25 »
Terms vary between mobile phone operators regarding PAYG, but 6 months is a 'popular'  :wacko: period of time without any activity by the user before the service is at risk of being restricted (which may also include losing any credit you thought you had in your account.)
Read the small print to check whether you were given adequate advice regarding low usage - always worth trying a nice friendly chat with them even if you did accidentally stumble through their legal minefield...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:58 »
I also have an emergency mobile phone and saw something ages ago that you have to use it about every 6 months or it won't work. I do like Growster and just make a quick call and have had no problem.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 12:48 »
Thanks for all the advice. Will ensure I call the house every three months or so

jezza

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 23:00 »
Hello all networks Vodafone o2  Virgin have in their small print that a call needs to be made within 180 consecutive days to keep the line active I use my mother's virgin  phone for credit balance that keeps the number active  jezza

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 08:43 »
I'm with O2 and can't remember the last actual call I made - years ago, probably - I hate talking on them for some reason  :wacko:
I do send sms text messages, though, so these must count as usage as well.

xx
Mobile phone or Ipad

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 05, 2021, 14:31
by Growster...
xx
Replacing my mobile phone

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 20:34
by jezza
xx
mobile phone coverage

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 05:39
by LILLILEAF
xx
This mobile phone stuff ggrrh !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2021, 15:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 41 queries.