Please remind me- which crops do not like a manured soil?

• 10 Replies

missmoneypenny

I’ve been spreading the horse muck on like there’s no tomorrow, but then remembered some corps don’t like, but couldn’t think which.
In 2023 I’m planning on doing lots of brassicas, sweetcorn, tomatoes, aubergines, french beans, broad beans, beetroot, chard and lettuce. Also potatoes. No alliums as I seen to have White Onion Rot.
I still have some space which I intend to just cover in cardboard and black fleece over winter.
Thanks for any tips!

Snow

• Experienced Member
Re: Please remind me- which crops do not like a manured soil?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 18:05 »
I think it's only fresh manure that can cause problems, if it is well rotted and you are spreading it now for planting into in spring then you should be good

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 19:32 »
Thanks Snow, but I seem to remember that some crops don’t like rich soil- just can’t recall which. All the manure is reasonably well rotten.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 21:33 »
Root crops like carrots will fork HH
Keep digging

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 22:37 »
Sweetcorn, tomatoes, aubergines, french beans, chard and lettuce all love rich soil. I have less experience with some of the other crops mentioned.

Good luck with it!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 17:26 »
I don't think one can get enough horse manure we use as much as we can get hold of, but snow is right you really need well-rotted horse manure we let ours stand for around twelve months before using and we tend not to put it on ground or in raised beds were we intend to grow root crops that's our rule of thumb but any to me any animal manure is well worth putting on the ground to feed it the thicker the better  :D

we to have white onion rot but we found using wood ash and pulling the onions early seemed to have helped we pulled our onion crops and put them in wooden potato chitting trays in the potting shed and there keeping quite well

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 16:50 »
Traditionally you didn’t manure carrot & parsnip beds as they will reportedly’fork’. But here’s one I harvested just the other day that had well rotted manure applied as a mulch, & not dug in. The seeds were sown directly, just scraping the mulch away a little & then recovering the seeds.
D0E2812A-A13F-45A4-9881-05BE9E0DD0A1.jpeg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 18:38 »
Traditionally you didn’t manure carrot & parsnip beds as they will reportedly’fork’. But here’s one I harvested just the other day that had well rotted manure applied as a mulch, & not dug in. The seeds were sown directly, just scraping the mulch away a little & then recovering the seeds.

Fab parsnip!

I think that's a crucial difference, in that you only had the manure as a mulch. It was not within the soil structure, and therefore not present for the tap root to encounter.

The traditional approach is to dig in manure before the next season, which means that it is within the soil structure.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 15:56 »

Fab parsnip!

I think that's a crucial difference, in that you only had the manure as a mulch. It was not within the soil structure, and therefore not present for the tap root to encounter.

The traditional approach is to dig in manure before the next season, which means that it is within the soil structure.

Oh definitely the not digging it in is crucial. Another plus for me of no dig, I do find the approach is like rocket fuel for the plants, whatever type.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 11:46 »
I assume the don't use manure for root crops applies to cow manure??

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 13:06 »
I assume the don't use manure for root crops applies to cow manure??

Yes if dug in.

xx
Manured Soil

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 20:42
by erainn
xx
Weed Supressant Fabric on freshly manured soil?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 11:21
by Ema
xx
Soil preparation for root crops.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 13:01
by Kleftiwallah
xx
advice about soil and planting of crops

Started by moggyj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 15:20
by moggyj

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 49 queries.