What to look for in a new allotment

• 38 Replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
Re: What to look for in a new allotment
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 19:34 »
Further update, I've now signed on the dotted line for the new allotment! I've asked the council and they say they will strim it but it might not be immediately. Is now a good time to get it all dug over? A fellow plot holder wants to unleash his rotavator on it. But would that just spread the weed roots? Weeds are mainly brambles, nettles, dock, mares tale and creeping buttercup

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 21:15 »
I would avoid rotavation like the plague while you have all those weeds. As you say, it would chop all the roots up into lots of new plants.

I always advise new tenants to get digging before the end of the year, because on our site the soil gets quite sticky and soggy in the new year. If the soil is sticking to your boots, keep off it. If the soil is sticking to all the weed roots and you can't shake it off, I might also delay weeding until the soil dries out a little.

Don't forget you can cover too. I always advise that you should have dealt with, or covered, or have a plan to stop growth on, perennial weeds before they start active growth in the spring.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 17:52 »
Hopefully these mild couple of days means it dries out a bit. I'll make a start on the digging tomorrow. Might need some firey jack afterwards! Thanks for the tips guys!

Bryan and carol

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 19:43 »
Further update, I've now signed on the dotted line for the new allotment! I've asked the council and they say they will strim it but it might not be immediately. Is now a good time to get it all dug over? A fellow plot holder wants to unleash his rotavator on it. But would that just spread the weed roots? Weeds are mainly brambles, nettles, dock, mares tale and creeping buttercup

Agree avoid rotavating, but amazed that your council is prepared to strim the plot ! I've never heard the like.

Mare's Tail possibly the worst to get rid of, but if you dig out as much of the root as you can and carefully bin or burn it, you will eventually get it under control, but possibly not eradicated.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 20:28 »
I had to pay a (refundable)bond on the plot when acquiring(covers the cost of getting the allotment something like if given up). They mentioned strimming it when I was shown around the site. When I enquired about it at the council offices when taking the plot on, phone calls were quickly made, perhaps not expecting me to ask about it. But as I'm going to make a start tomorrow, by the time the strimmer guys get there, there might be not much strimming to do! The council did tell me to pile all the rubbish i dont want at the end of the plot though and they'll collect it after a phone call

Bryan and carol

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2022, 16:04 »
Council collecting rubbish ? Another luxury we don't enjoy. Once upon a time we were provided with an annual skip, but following cutbacks, that has long gone. 

I was wondering how much rent you are paying, maybe sufficient to cover all of this support? Ours works out at around £60 per year,  that includes the water bill and a subscription to the  National Allotment Soc.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 17:43 »
We used to get skips, but in light of legislation changes, the skip companies no longer supply allotment sites here.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2022, 19:01 »
Council collecting rubbish ? Another luxury we don't enjoy. Once upon a time we were provided with an annual skip, but following cutbacks, that has long gone. 

I was wondering how much rent you are paying, maybe sufficient to cover all of this support? Ours works out at around £60 per year,  that includes the water bill and a subscription to the  National Allotment Soc.

£23 per year + £15 water. The bond must cover the rest if you leave it in a bad state

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2022, 19:04 »
Made a start today on the 'easier' bit. Whats the weed that has the red, quite thick roots? Also, are dock roots as thick as decent carrots? Didnt know what I was digging up lol
NZEY1446.JPG

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 19:53 »
Dock roots can be very thick, try breaking one & see if it is very pungent,it could be horseradish
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 21:19 »
A tad late

Ayreet lad. Speaking from experience in that my plot is an extension of the back garden (gate in't fence) having your plot directly behind you will allow you to spend more time on it.
Me mate next door (house) also has a plot on site but has to walk round to it and spends less time on than me on it.
It has took me around three year to get it to be fairly clear of weeds and other rubbish left, the only weed I battle with on a yearly basis is marestail but as a rather lovely Aunty says... "Never let it see a Sunday"!
Big advantage is not keeping tools on site and if required run water from home, my greenhouses are close to home so never an issue watering.

Have fun
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 21:49 »
If it has clover-like leaves, it could be creeping/wood sorrel - that's the only thing I can think of with reddish roots.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 16:42 »
That's what the plant looks like. I'll have to take some clearer pics tomorrow
Screenshot_992.png

jaydig

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 14:44 »
It may be a form of persicaria.  Very persistent and needs constant removal.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2022, 16:14 »
It may be a form of persicaria.  Very persistent and needs constant removal.

I think you're right jaydig, looks like redshank

VGOD3118.JPG
ICFK0501.JPG

xx
allotment

Started by finster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 13:25
by chriscross1966
xx
Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 09:04
by rowlandwells
xx
Just got an allotment!

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:38
by Val H
xx
new allotment

Started by Axel2801 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 27, 2018, 16:24
by alexroyall85

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 51 queries.