Grow in the compost pile

• 6 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Grow in the compost pile
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:20 »
I have just leveled and stuck 5 Yellow Zucchini seeds in my compost pen. It's mostly leaf mould,  but with it being about 2 cubic yards I'd say there is plenty of good stuff in there as well. Anyone have any knowledge on what I can expect from these seeds. It would be in about 6 hours sun a day.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Grow in the compost pile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:30 »
Anyone have any knowledge on what I can expect from these seeds. It would be in about 6 hours sun a day
I couldn't hazard a guess. There are just too many variables... how many germinate, what the weather is going to be like, how active are the slugs in there, how well will the bees pollinate the flowers? etc.

If all goes well, enough to be giving them to all your friend and neighbours  :D Good luck!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 11:58 »
The composting process might reduce the amount of nitrogen needed for your plants, so I'd add some blood, fish and bone plus some diluted seaweed feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 14:07 »
Great replies to my question, I have a beginners enthusiasm at least. On the point of nitrogen, old school maybe but reading the net is my only way into learning. Anyway I have been pouring about 3 litres of my urine onto the compost for the last 7/8 months and daily. The blood and fish bone  etc i'll check out down the local place. Being where I am made it easy on the seaweed thing, because about a month ago I collected about 100kg of the stuff from the beach and made a potent looking tea with a portion of it. I'll let you know if something good happens on this story.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 14:24 »
I'd ease up on the pee for a while, to give the heap a chance to dry out a bit - you don't want the top of the heap to be sodden while the seeds are germinating. Once the plants are growing strongly I'd add some in place of watering, but dilute it down as it can be much too strong as is..
It is too strong to be used neat on most plants and should be diluted. Dilute one part fresh urine to 10-15 parts water for application on plants in the growth stage.....
Even when diluted your plants don’t need daily applications, and it’s best used on plants that need lots of nitrogen, such as corn and squash, tomatoes and cucumbers during their fruit-bearing stage.
https://www.permaculturenews.org/2016/06/14/biological-fertiliser-human-urine/

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 15:44 »
Thanks mumofstig, I had thought about easing up on the pee now that seeds are in. Interesting fact though:is that my first go at compost started like 3 years ago and again being mostly leaf, well it took 2 years to break down into something usable. This load that we talk about now, plied with the urine has virtually equaled that first lot in just 7 months, so the appliance of science worked out it seems.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 21:14 »
I usually put a plant in the top of the compost heap. I dig a hole put in some multi purpose compost then the plant.
usually get a great crop

xx
A pile of mushroom compost, and a pile of manure

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 19:18
by Totty
xx
What to grow next to manure pile?

Started by MrsLuigi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 11:47
by MrsLuigi
xx
How to recycle compost pile

Started by mrt003003 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 16:55
by andtiggertoo
xx
Tomato and grow bag compost

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 13:49
by DD.

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 45 queries.