Q for Allotment holders in Kent

• 8 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Q for Allotment holders in Kent
« on: May 20, 2015, 14:31 »
Please help me gather some info about plot rents and water charges.

Ashford Borough Council has put forward proposals to increase rents from £5 per perch/rod to £21.
It suggests that this is what other allotments in Kent are charging - this seems high to me, so I thought I'd ask on here.

Please say how much you pay for yours (and size) and what facilities your site has.

Also if your site has a water supply how is this managed (hose connections or tank for watering can dipping for example) do you pay extra for the water?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Q for Allotment holders in Kent
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 14:45 »
In our parish we pay just over £20 per year for a half plot (about 5 rods)

The only facility we have is water. Two taps and two dip tanks between 35 tenants; using a hose is not banned but discouraged. The water bill for the year is divided up between the tenants and added to next year's rent demand.  We also pay public liability insurance at £2 per plot for the year.

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 15:05 »
OK Not Kent but not far away

Costs from April 2015
The current costs per m2 are:

•£0.298 basic rate (plus £0.062 water rate)
•£0.223 concessionary rate (plus £0.062 water rate)

For example, a standard plot of 125m2 would cost £45 per year. 
Allotment keys can be collected from Civic Offices and cost £20 per key which is non refundable.

Full Plots 250m2
1/2 Plot  125m2

They cut the grass paths 3-4 times a year and turn the water on and off and that's about it!

EllenJane

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 15:16 »
We pay £15 for a half plot and £30 for a whole plot (my whole plot is roughly 175 sqm) per year. We have water on site in tanks to dip into which refill themselves (when people remember to turn it on). Hoses are not allowed, only watering cans.

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 15:26 »
Here at a village along the A20 my allotment is 10metres x 12 metres  I pay £10 a year, water is free from a stream which  runs alongside the allotments.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 19:18 »
My sister in Folkestone pays £90 per year for normal size plot (not sure the exact size) and for that she gets tap access - no hoses, a few scaffolding boards to edge the front and bark chippings for paths. Also has a toilet block.

Parents in Dover pay £40-something for similar size and access from tap.

In Hertfordshire I pay £14 per year for a double plot, tap access and 2 barrows of manure per year

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:28 »
Here, we pay £19 for a full plot which is 80' x 35'.

On our plots, we have no water connected, although at the other end of the village, they do have water connected at several points, (which is a bit of a beef for us, but we all have IBCs thanks to a generous plot holder, who gets them free from his business). The rent is the same on both lots.

There is space to park a car, but most of us are within walking distance.

There are nineteen workable plots here, and six at one end which are overgrown, and not usable now

grendel

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:00 »
my half plot is one of about 100 in one site in canterbury, I pay about £25 a year plus a bit extra to belong to the association, the price varies between sites here, but not by a great deal, we have water, in both dipping tanks and you can connect a hose. the main site tap is on my plot, but the nearest water tap is about 50m from my plot, so I have to join 2 long hoses together to get water ( the main stopcock use to leak, so at one point half my plot was self watering, until the leak got worse and I arrived to find I had a pond).
we have a portaloo, and car parking (though the road through the site closes through the winter).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

brianc

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 11:38 »
We have 20 plots on site we have 1 tap to every 2 plots. so 10 in all i have 2 taps 1 at the side of my plot with a water tank and 1 at the end of my plot we can use hoses. my plot is 150 square metres it costs me £50 a year.
I also have an awful lot of mares tail free of charge.

xx
Dealing with bad allotment holders.

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:44
by Caddi fuller-teabags
xx
Nightmare plot holders

Started by Tugster on Grow Your Own

131 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 21:09
by Teen76
xx
kent blue pea

Started by allotment-bill on Grow Your Own

124 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 10:07
by allotment-bill
xx
kent blues ... :(

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2020, 15:08
by Ema

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.