Ripe tabasco chilli - 2mm long!

• 11 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Ripe tabasco chilli - 2mm long!
« on: August 22, 2010, 16:59 »
My indoor cayenne pepper plant is producing a decent crop this year, although not as good as last year for some reason despite being grown in essentially identical conditions.

Next to it in the trough is a tabasco pepper plant, which has always looked a bit spindly by comparison, has lost a few leaves and dropped a lot of flowers. There are a few though which must have set a couple of months ago but are still small and pale green.

There is one ripe, red one, however, but it is only about 2mm x 1mm (I kid you not!) !!!  :ohmy:

If it was any other sort of plant I would have given it a lot more feed; are these particularly difficult chillies to grow?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Ripe tabasco chilli - 2mm long!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 21:45 »
My indoor cayenne pepper plant is producing a decent crop this year, although not as good as last year for some reason despite being grown in essentially identical conditions.

If it was any other sort of plant I would have given it a lot more feed; are these particularly difficult chillies to grow?

I've got a cayenne sitting in my greenhouse. It's a cold greenhouse (really cold, 3 panes of glass missing). It's hit the roof of and has plenty of big chillis on it, though so far they're showing no signs of turning red. I grow them most years and normally get a big healthy plant with a decent crop, though I always have trouble getting them to turn red. They're nice enough green, though. They don't match the small varieties for sheer number of fruit, but then they are much bigger chillis.

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 15:32 »
First year growing chillis and iv got jalepeno and tabasco growing!!Ive got around 30-40 jalepenos on the one plant but a few of those chillis are only about 5mm long and have turned red when i open one there are no seeds in  :blink:

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 16:20 »
My Cayenne peppers were sown in the last week of March and have grown 3 or 4 foot high in the greenhouse with lots of green peppers on. The first ones are just starting to turn red now. Its my first time growing them and I didn't think they would grow so big or take so long to ripen. My other peppers are the same, height wise, with no signs of the peppers ripening. Not sure I will bother growing them again :(.

Never grown Tobasco Peppers JayG and probably never will now after your comments. Your plant has probaly put all its energy into its little chillie and will be red hot  :tongue2: (with a red face).

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 16:45 »
Glad you've had some success with your cayenne Fisherman!  :)

No response at all about growing tabasco then; I'm almost certain I've seen a few folk mentioning them here this year (perhaps they're either too ashamed to mention them or are frightened of boasting!!)  :unsure:

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 18:16 »
I'm not sure why I grow and then eat Cayenne peppers / chillies as I break out into a serious hot sweat to the point of nearly passing out. I guess I must be semi alergic to them. The thing is I can't resist eating them which is kind of weird. God only knows what I would be like if I ate a Tabasco, Scotch Bonnet or a Birds Eye. I'm even breaking out into a sweat thinking about it. :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 18:24 »
I'm not sure why I grow and then eat Cayenne peppers / chillies as I break out into a serious hot sweat to the point of nearly passing out. I guess I must be semi alergic to them. The thing is I can't resist eating them which is kind of weird. God only knows what I would be like if I ate a Tabasco, Scotch Bonnet or a Birds Eye. I'm even breaking out into a sweat thinking about it. :ohmy:

If my 2mm X 1mm tabasco chilli is all I'm going to get I hope I can find a recipe which doesn't require it to be chopped finely first!  :lol:   :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 18:36 »
Re Tabasco

I have only two fruits on my single plant, about an inch to an inch and a half long and still pale green.

In comparison habanero, scotch bonnet, cayenne, yellow banana, black pearl et all are all fruiting weel and have some ripe ones too.

Conclusion -- it's not just you JayG  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 18:59 »
I planted all my peppers and chillis in february, they certainly try ones patience most have now come to fruit except Fatalii which are painfully slow growing no fruit as yet. next year i am going to build a 2m x1m propagator and give them a good start in life, which is more than i ever had. :blink:   

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 20:05 »
Re Tabasco

I have only two fruits on my single plant, about an inch to an inch and a half long and still pale green.

In comparison habanero, scotch bonnet, cayenne, yellow banana, black pearl et all are all fruiting weel and have some ripe ones too.

Conclusion -- it's not just you JayG  :lol:

Thanks Sunny, feel so much better now!  :wub:

Just in case anyone thinks I was being excessively modest, (or is in need of a good chuckle!) here is a picture of my aforementioned tabasco chilli (I cannot take any credit for this achievement; any credit due must surely go to the "macro" setting on my camera!)  :lol:
Size isn't everything.JPG

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 23:20 »
petite but well formed  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 16:08 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are really showing off now  :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:

good camera  ;)

xx
ripe chilli

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 18:28
by Stripey_cat
xx
How long do chilli plants live

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 16:31
by JayG
xx
How long can I leave chilli plants without watering

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 22:53
by 3759allen
xx
Rabbit Deterrent .... water & Tabasco sauce

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 19:27
by bigben

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 39 queries.