Couscous

• 25 Replies

Lardman

Couscous
« on: April 06, 2015, 13:22 »
Is it actually possible to make this taste ?

In a moment of madness, I bought a waitrose Moroccan couscous tub (In my defence it was hugely discounted )  and it was passable as food. The stuff I produce is most definitely not, I know I can pour a curry or something over it and that certainly helps but there must be something I can do with on it's own.  :unsure:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Couscous
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 14:16 »
I prefer bulgur wheat Lardy, but like couscous and in fact rice etc, they don't taste of much on their own, so I add chilli, or worcestershire sauce, or something in the cooking water, plus I cook it in stock.

Bulgur wheat cooked in flavoured stock with frozen mixed veg and onions is my favourite fast day dinner twice a week!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 15:04 »
Similar here, I add salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, garlic (powdered or grated fresh) and sometimes stock. Then very finely chopped onion and herbs and good flavoured oil. After all that it might need re-heating but I tend to have it with fruit and nuts, with hummus on the side, as a salad (hummus helps it stick to the fork!)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 17:02 »
I find Ainsley Harriot 'Spice Sensation' one of the better ready to eat packets. Around 50p each.

Will give the bulgur wheat a try soon ! :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 17:13 »
I cook my couscous in water with some lemon juice and a teaspoon of chicken Bovril.

When cooked I sling in chopped spring onions, lots of chopped parsley and mint, chopped tomatoes and sometimes some spices.

Or on other occasions I sling in a load of oven roasted garlic vegetables and slow roasted tomatoes. ;)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 18:08 »
Can't say I've tried bulgur wheat  - don't they make pillows from it ?  :unsure:

I'll keep at it then. I'm looking for an alternative to just nuking a spud really, something quick, filling and using stuff I have on hand (fresh herbs being a problem at the moment).

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 18:38 »
The ainsley harriott packets are actually good for keeping on standby for emergencies - hub and uses them quite a lot after shift work as a easy/filling/ relatively nutritious part of a meal

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 20:08 »
Could I do  a one pot meal with bulgar when i'm hosteling

I've made tomato sauce into fruit leather and have dried spinach, onion, mushrooms,carrots and lentils can i just rehydrate and cook with the bulgar?
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 20:14 »
MC, I would have thought so,try before you go, you could maybe even make it all up into a pack in portion sizes.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 20:18 »

I've made tomato sauce into fruit leather and have dried spinach, onion, mushrooms,carrots and lentils can i just rehydrate and cook with the bulgar?

I have used both bulgar and couscous and I would say that you could you would be better using the coucous for hostelling MC.

I wouldn't go for bulgar as the bulgar takes a lot more cooking.

gypsy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 22:13 »
I like cous cous served cold mixed with different salad dressings and bits of salady and nutty stuff and maybe a few raisins.
Catherine

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 22:25 »

I have used both bulgar and couscous and I would say that you could you would be better using the coucous for hostelling MC.

I wouldn't go for bulgar as the bulgar takes a lot more cooking.

You can do bulgar wheat in cold water for 30 mins, for Granville, but when I chuck it all in a saucepan with the veg, onion and flavourings, it only takes 15 minutes.

No Lardy, that's buckwheat! X

Madame Cholet

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 07:20 »
thanks I'm thinking same ingredients with rice, cous cous, pasta and bulgar with different spices  each day.

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30 »
Couscous is a CBA standby for us. Sweat an onion, sprinkle in desired spices (lots or a little, as you like), add a chopped courgette and fry till nearly done. Then add some tinned toms and maybe some beans from a jar. Pour on top of cooked couscous. A variation is to leave out the spices and beans, add herbs and a small can of tuna (drain oil) and use as a spaghetti sauce.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 20:54 »
took me a few seconds to work out CBA

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.