chicken poo

• 5 Replies

ceri green

• Experienced Member
chicken poo
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:44 »
was wondering..........is the chicken manure you can buy for exorbitant prices in garden centres just ordinary chook poo (presumably dried?)? or is it treated? should i be saving all the poo and digging it into my veggie plot? if so, should it be dry first? what does everyone else do with their chook poo?

i'm only talking about what i take out of the hen shed, not whats scattered around the field obviously!

Brambles

chicken poo
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 10:54 »
Don't really know the answer but I put mine in the compost, think it should not be used "new" where you are actually growing things as it will be quite acid and would probably kill your veggies...  If it goes on the compost, it will rot down along with everything else and you will get fantastic veggies next year :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
chicken poo
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 11:00 »
I've read somewhere that it's ok to put onto your beds in winter so that they are ready to use in spring - that's what I'll be doing with the 2 huge binbags full that I got from my hen house (it's a big house) last weekend and I'll put my cabbages in that bed next year, but I'd think that it would be too strong to use directly.

There's a company in the Netherlands who are going to use chicken manure to power 90,000 homes :shock: so it's powerful stuff!

Kate and her Ducks

chicken poo
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:15 »
I'm planning on putting it directly onto my veg plot over winter by just shutting them in that area. Poo exactly where I want it and all the slugs, snails and their eggs eaten up fro next spring :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

compostqueen

chicken poo
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:32 »
there is a chicken poo power station at Eye in Suffolk, run by a Danish company, which uses up much of Suffolk's hen poo

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
chicken poo
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 19:48 »
Our hens were penned up where the rhubarb is over last winter, so it got pooped over and generally scratched about. When spring came I moved them as I was afraid that they would eat the new shoots. We had fantastic rhubarb this summer.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken run.

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:17
by Roughlee Handled
angry
Bad day at the chicken run!

Started by Bev on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 20:21
by Bev
xx
What will a chicken NOT eat?

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 13:39
by Pertelotte

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 35 queries.