Draw vs Dutch hoes

• 18 Replies

lsp12

Draw vs Dutch hoes
« on: April 23, 2009, 14:15 »
Forgive this question as I am a novice... I seem to recall gardeners back home (France) using draw hoes whilst here one mainly find dutch hoes... I was wondering if this is 'cultural' or if there is a different use for each?
Anyone keen to shed some light on this for me?
Thanks in advance
Laurence

MoreWhisky

Re: Draw vs Dutch hoes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 16:13 »
I find the Swoe the superior tool  ::)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 16:30 »
Prefer a pull push hoe myself.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 16:33 »
The Dutch hoe does seem to be more widely available - I'm not sure why.  I've heard that a draw hoe is better for heavier soils but I can't confirm that from experience - I've got a Dutch hoe myself because my parents, who find it very good on their sandy soil, bought it for me.  So far it seems to be doing OK on my clay soil but I've only used it when the soil's been fairly dry on top.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 17:10 »
We much prefer the swan neck type of draw hoe....and the type with a curved top to the blade...this means the pointed corner can be got right up to a plant to hook out the tiniest weed..
The hoes were used for gapping in this area but it is getting more difficult to find older ones in good condition.

The same type of hoe but with a square blade is all but useless as the top corners of the blade prevent the action I describe above and in fact can catch the plant you are trying to weed around...

The pull action is prefered also as we can leave the ground worked slightly deeper than if using a push hoe...and in fact our mulch is a layer of dry worked soil...

"Dori"

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34 »
I've got Draw and Dutch, but also one of these

which I prefer for weeding around plants.  It has the benefit of a point (as per the Draw hoe) for digging things out, but it can get behind / round a plant which the Dutch hoe can't.

Works fine with either push, or pull, action.

I use a Draw how if the weeds are really big and have to be chopped at to move them - and the one pictured is rubbish for earthing up, of course!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 14:25 »
^ thats a swoe

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 17:46 »
I don't know about the swoe, but other hoes work better when kept sharp, and they need frequent retouching.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 19:26 »
I have a very nice stainless pull hoe and use it at times especially for making drills etc, I still prefer the Dutch/push hoe when weed hoeing, as long as they are kept sharp, I like the thought of cutting those weeds.

Bob

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 22:14 »
Ours is clayland, my father used to use a swan necked hoe for weed hoeing, "D" shaped blade. He had a swan necked hoe with sharp points (about 30 degrees and 6 - 7 inches wide) for singling sugar beet (he was a Fenman, I was born a Fenman but lived on clay most of my life). He also had a 12 inch wide push hoe with a tee handle for weeding between rows of sugar beet.

I first used a Dutch hoe when working for H. M. Forestry Commission on a nursery on sandy land (we produced 3.5 million trees per year). I have an Elwell forged Dutch hoe (not the things sold in garden centres which are stamped out of sheet metal and tend to push the soil up in front of the hoe, the stirrup is made of round steel rod). I also have a swan necked hoe and a swan necked onion hand hoe.

lsp12

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 17:04 »
Thanks to you all for your interesting comments! I am sorry I did not get back to you earlier...I have been having bad IT times recently ...but hopefully ... all is fixed now !
Thanks again
Laurence

shaun

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 17:11 »
last weekend I had a go of a diamond hoe of this chap down our plot.all I can say is "i'm getting one"  8)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 15:08 »

Aye we have an old fella with a home made diamond hoe - brill for onions!!

My wife calls me "Phill and his hoes" when I go to lotty - I have dutch, draw, swoe, "winged weeder" (closest to diamond thing I could find) and hand onion hoe. Well, the hand one was S & J for £2 so I couldn't resist...and anyway, they are all good for different things!!

I'm always telling my kids to use a bread knife when they are cutting bread....

Cheshire Phill

shaun

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 19:33 »
been mooching on the net phil for one and they aint cheap  :(
i think i could make one out of an old sardine tin  ;)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 14:50 »
this morning I forgot to take my new dutch hoe to the plot and had to use a knackered old draw hoe for weeding.. must say it was brilliant for weeding between the onions, never though of using it before...

xx
Which draw hoe?

Started by savbo on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 16:15
by savbo
xx
dutch hoe

Started by yellowkid on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 20:32
by WG.
xx
wanted vintage dutch hoe

Started by Offwego on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 12:45
by Uzzy
xx
Burgon and Ball Dutch hoe

Started by makedoandmend on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 11:17
by makedoandmend

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.