Anyone going for an MRI scan?

• 11 Replies

Goosegirl

Anyone going for an MRI scan?
« on: August 18, 2019, 14:32 »
I had one this week on my brain as part of an investigation into some sort of neurological problem I've been experiencing over the last year or so, and just want to say it's totally painless, there's absolutely nothing to fear and there were no search fees either!  :lol: All you do is lie down on a bed and put in the ear plugs they give you, then they put a set of "headphones" on your ears just to reduce the different noises it makes, you're given a buzzer in case it gets too much for you, then the scanner moves over the part they want to look at and off it goes. I experienced various noises like someone thrumming a low bass guitar string, a swish-swish- sound, some loud "knocking noises" and a sudden shaking of the bed and a feeling of lying with your head on a drum whilst someone played a smart tattoo. It took 15 minutes during which time it became rather hypnotic but then it was all over. Just thought I'd share this with you to allay any fears you may have.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone going for an MRI scan?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 14:47 »
I had a  few some years ago when I had a brain haemorrhage to see exactly where the damage was and agree, in those days the machine looked quite scary, but it was just noisy.
I can't have any more because the metal clip they put into the artery to repair it, would react to the magnetic field and fry my brain  :ohmy: I keep telling myself to get a warning bracelet, in case I need emergency treatment, but haven't actually done so yet  ::)

I hope your scan allows a diagnosis so you can receive treatment as necessary. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 14:49 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 15:15 »
Thanks MOS. I took off my earrings and necklace but then asked to take off my watch so I can understand how any metal objects can interfere with the scan. You go and get your bracelet a.s.a.p. then I can sleep in peace!

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 19:47 »
My experience too is that there's nothing to worry about. I was so relaxed that I fell asleep during mine and had to be woken up by the operator!

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 19:55 »
MOS, please put your bracelet at the top of your "to do" list.   It's very worrying to know that you still need to get one, particularly when the NHS is under so much pressure, and things can easily get missed.  Suppose you had an accident and were unconscious - they would have no way of knowing unless they consulted your medical records, and if it was an emergency they may not have them to hand.
It's Monday tomorrow - the first day of another week, so it could be the first thing you do tomorrow. Better safe than sorry.

oldgrunge

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 20:01 »
Thank you everyone. My wife is having an MRI scan tomorrow morning. She found this very reassuring. Thank you.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 22:11 »
I had an MRI of my head recently too.

I quite enjoyed the experience. I found it a meditation in sound.

It can be a little claustrophobic if you're that way inclined, but the staff will give you a blindfold if you need one.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 13:14 »
Thank you everyone. My wife is having an MRI scan tomorrow morning. She found this very reassuring. Thank you.
Oh I'm so glad she found it helpful and I hope all goes well for her.

oldgrunge

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 19:44 »
Thank you for your kind wishes Gg. It all went ok, but they had a problem, as it was her wrist , and they wanted her to lie with her arms extended "Superman" style. Unfortunately, she can't stretch her arm without pain, so some contortions and strapping up was required. She's always difficult! 😀

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:17 »
My first one sticks in my mind, as after being told to try to stay still, some joker put '80's disco music on!  :lol: 

I'm glad it went ok GG, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

dugless

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 18:27 »
My experience too is that there's nothing to worry about. I was so relaxed that I fell asleep during mine and had to be woken up by the operator!
how did you sleep through all the noise it makes?
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Mr Dog

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 12:08 »
how did you sleep through all the noise it makes?

Apart from being able to sleep through most things I found the noises quite therapeutic.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 52 queries.