what would you do with raspberries?

• 6 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
what would you do with raspberries?
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:40 »
I understand i should have cut them back last year - however i didnt.

Im not sure if they are summer or autumn - i though summer but they didnt fruit until really late in the season

Would you cut them back this year - ie the ones with remains of fruit on them or just leave them for this season?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: what would you do with raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42 »
Would you cut them back this year?

If they didn't fruit till late- I'd assume they were autumn fruiters and cut them down to ground level....up to you what you do though  ;)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:30 »
Prune them down to 6-7 buds then that way you'll get something if their early's and if their late's then they will still produce new canes and fruit on them, if your really lucky and their the right variety you'll get fruit of both old and new.

I have some Polka raspberries they are what's known as priomcanes so fruit early on last years stems and this years new stems will fruit in the autumn  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 00:53 »
Didn't know my Polka were "priomcanes" but I do just that Richy. Lovely raspberries for months!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51 »
Must admit to not realising myself untill after I had planted them, I just wanted some for the garden as their one of my wife's favourite fruit, I got them in a pot from B&Q no mention of them being primocanes. They just had them labelled as late variety, but the RHS list them as primocanes and I had fruit last year off the old and the new canes  :D

Didn't know my Polka were "priomcanes" but I do just that Richy. Lovely raspberries for months!

Totty

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 21:06 »
If you can tell, or know which canes produced fruit last year, just cut those right back to the ground. It does not matter weather your raspberry fruits on last years or this years growth, you still always cut back whatever has already fruited. If they are very young plants this may mean you will cut back all the stems, which seems a little harsh, but an Autumn fruiter will only produce on this years growth anyway.

Totty

brown thumb

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:27 »
i really need to order my raspberry canes but cant decide on weather to buy all joan  j (25 canes)   a   late variety or go for an pk of 30    /10   of 3 varietys to cover the whole season the pk will be alot cheaper but fancy thornless         decisions     decisions :unsure: :unsure:

xx
Raspberries?

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 00:15
by mrswashi
xx
raspberries

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 09:14
by Lardman
xx
Which TLC for raspberries?

Started by pepper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 10:16
by pepper
xx
Raspberries gone

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 08:45
by chrisnchris

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.