Rhubarb

• 16 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb
« on: April 05, 2010, 20:24 »
All this talk of rhubarb coming up has got me thinking and I  have allocated an area for rhubarb once my garlic is harvested later in the year.

I don't like my rhubarb too sharp and sour, but it does need to have some taste. I have no idea how many varieties are out there and if I have any sort of choice, but if there is what do you all suggest?

Lardman

Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 20:31 »
I;ve got a few crowns of glaskins perpetual I grew from seed.

You're not comparing shop bought rhubarb are you ? When I stew mine I use less than a tea spoon of sugar and thats more than enough to just take the edge of the sharpness.  The do go in the pan within 10 minutes though  :D

Like sprouts I think Rhubarb has a bad rep because of bad prep and poor supermarket produce.

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 20:37 »
is rhubarb successful in a pot or does it grow better in the ground?  I was thinking of using a free supermarket black cut flower pot.

Slowgrind

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 20:39 »
Lardman, how long between sowing and harvesting your rhubarb?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 20:48 »
is rhubarb successful in a pot or does it grow better in the ground?  I was thinking of using a free supermarket black cut flower pot.

Best to put it in the ground as the roots will go deep and massive. There's the old joke, once you have rhubarb, you'll always have it no matter what you do to it.  :D

I've never sown rhubarb seeds, but rhubarb roots should be left a full year before harvesting anything.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 21:02 by Trillium »

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 21:00 »
Lardman, how long between sowing and harvesting your rhubarb?

Sown 02/08
Planted out  06/08
Started picking 05/09

Stopped picking at the long day as the plants were young and I didn't want to stress them.

Trilliums right about not putting them in pots - also leave them as long as you can before harvesting - I couldn't wait any longer and had lots of plants so it really didn't matter  :D

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 21:15 »
Thank you.  I'll plant it down on the allotment then.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 21:19 »
My Rhubarb is about 6 inches when i last looked , we are all looking forward to the first crumble of the yr  :D
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 21:49 »
My Rhubarb is about 6 inches when i last looked , we are all looking forward to the first crumble of the yr  :D

Nearly picked some of mine yesterday - one of mine has gone mad this week !! I'm keeping an eye on the forecast - better I eat them than the frost get them  :D

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 21:58 »
my rhubarb is a late veriety and its not sprouting yet :blush:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Babstreefern

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 22:31 »
Mine's about the middle, not early and not late. :lol:  Also when you plant rhubarb, put it in a spot that's out of the way, as it stays in all the time ;).  Mine's next to my compost, and its great, because when I pick it, I snap off the leaves and what doesn't go into making liquid fertiliser goes into the compost with me not having to move :D
Babs

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 22:45 »
I;ve got a few crowns of glaskins perpetual I grew from seed.

You're not comparing shop bought rhubarb are you ? When I stew mine I use less than a tea spoon of sugar and thats more than enough to just take the edge of the sharpness.  The do go in the pan within 10 minutes though  :D

Like sprouts I think Rhubarb has a bad rep because of bad prep and poor supermarket produce.

No, I have never bought shop rhubarb!  ;) In the past we have always inherited rhubarb in our gardens. This time there is nothing so I thought I would go for the best I can if I am starting from scratch. It won't go in until the end of the summer/early autumn anyway as there won't be space until then.

However, there is lots of talk of when to sow and when to harvest, but ......... which variety?!!! :blink:

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 21:50 »
i have  3 varieties: Reeds Early Superb, Cawoods Delight and Strawberry.  Reeds and Strawberry are heavy croppers, Cawoods a little light.

all 3 have good taste and i do not find them tart especially if stems are picked young but i know some people do find them tart

If i only had room for 1 i would probably choose Strawberry

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 22:14 »
All this talk of rhubarb coming up has got me thinking and I  have allocated an area for rhubarb once my garlic is harvested later in the year.

I don't like my rhubarb too sharp and sour, but it does need to have some taste. I have no idea how many varieties are out there and if I have any sort of choice, but if there is what do you all suggest?

dont forget rhubarb doesnt move with the normal rotation and needs to be somewhere seperate as it is usually left for around 10 years.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:02 »
Thanks everyone! Yes, I am aware that rhubarb takes up permanent residency! I have identified a nice corner of the garden for it, but didn't think about rhubarb when I planted up my garlic so I will have to wait until it is harvested. As I have the opportunity to start from scratch this time though, I have decided to properly research the varieties of everything I plant so that all this planting is worth it! Am currently on a weeks hols in sunny Cornwall and just catching up from time to time on the laptop when we get a signal (No TV in our van - we make do with DVD's on the laptop if we need entertaining - and you lot are brilliant entertainment anyway!)

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb help ???

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 23:54
by clarkey95
xx
Rhubarb

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 11:48
by spottymint
clip
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 19:34
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 28 queries.