sorry there all closed

• 30 Replies

rowlandwells

sorry there all closed
« on: October 31, 2020, 13:35 »
 i see Gardeners world and Beach grove have all closed down for winter you know its always a mystery to me why they close down so early because as we all know there's always something to do for proper gardeners as we know to well from our members on this site

and if i remember there used to be garden programs on the tele in the winter months one program comes to mind from I think Kings Heath Birmingham with Cyril Fletcher and others that i can't remember also there was Geoff Smith who had a gardening program the programs where very informative especially Geoff smith's they used to talk about many things to do in the greenhouse sowing seeds and many more topics of interest for the next growing season  that's sadly missing on todays gardening programs that's my opinion

and yes to an extent our gardens have closed down for the next few months the allotments look dormant with only a few pickings and although the ground has been ploughed up for winter the ground looks cold and
dismal as though its sleeping only ready to wake up and come to life when spring rears its head

we are finding  plenty to do in these winter months both in the greenhouses and tool shed for both repairs cleaning repairing tools and  generally tidying up getting everything ship shape for the next year we are only armchair gardeners if the weathers to cold  snow or felling ill

Fairy Plotmother

Re: sorry there all closed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 14:27 »
I’m quite happy to be an armchair gardener. 🤣 I’m not young enough or fit enough to garden in the wind and rain......or even in a heatwave for that matter.🙄

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 14:57 »
I’m quite happy to be an armchair gardener. 🤣 I’m not young enough or fit enough to garden in the wind and rain......or even in a heatwave for that matter.🙄

I'll go along with that.   I am not young or fit either.   I can cope with the heatwaves, love it.   I have just come back in and whilst very windy the sun is shining now.   Didn't do anything though, just looked.   :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 18:02 »
well i have to say I'm no spring chicken but i like pottering about in the greenhouse cleaning pots and trays or in the workshop doing something or other on a wet day just sorting things out passes the time away before lunch and wouldn't it be nice if we  had a garden program devoted to practical gardening the we could all be armchair gardeners couldn't we?

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 21:08 »
I suspect Monty will be glad of the break.  I understand that the viewing figures have been up on previous years , apparently they received about 8000 videos from viewers .

I do wonder why Monty appears on other shows such as the One Show , I got the impression that he would rather be elsewhere when he was on recently  , guessing he's fulfilling contractural obligations.  He seems most at home in the garden.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 11:36 »
I think Monty is quite shy really, I know lots on here aren’t keen on him but I’ve always liked him, it doesn’t bother me that he has a huge garden or is ‘posh’
I quite enjoyed the home videos that they used this year & would like to see one or two each programme in future years. I particularly enjoyed the ones with the children getting stuck in. I wish they’d rerun some early gardeners world, after all they’re rerunning films from before 1960 & tv shows from the 70s  :wacko:
Like many I do think they cut the gardening programmes off too soon & would like to see them year round as others have said, there’s gardening to be done all year round, maybe we would get new presenters coming through then too.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 11:53 »
Yes, they're all closed aren't they?

Cheers,  Tony. :nowink:
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 13:37 »
I think Monty is quite shy really, I know lots on here aren’t keen on him but I’ve always liked him, it doesn’t bother me that he has a huge garden or is ‘posh’
I quite enjoyed the home videos that they used this year & would like to see one or two each programme in future years. I particularly enjoyed the ones with the children getting stuck in. I wish they’d rerun some early gardeners world, after all they’re rerunning films from before 1960 & tv shows from the 70s  :wacko:
Like many I do think they cut the gardening programmes off too soon & would like to see them year round as others have said, there’s gardening to be done all year round, maybe we would get new presenters coming through then too.

Suggest contacting the BBC , see what they say.

Not sure he's shy , I suspect he doesn't suffer fools .   There is a lovely picture in the November GW issue of him and Nigel during the flooding and the front of the calendar was nice.   

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 16:46 »
well like many TV progs its worth a look when there's nothing ells better to do on a Friday night not many informative  points but some good side shows but i think there's no one but no one to beat the late great Geoff Hamilton a real down to earth gardener and in some respects its rubbed of on Adam frost he don't mind getting his hands  or knees Dirty

and of cause we having  lost our favourite canine friend Nigel it never feels the same program without him but having said all that at least we can really on the most professional gardeners on this site to always give us good sound advise a site that never closes open 24/7 and its free :D :D

and I'm sure he can suffer any fools who pays his wages for around six months work  :D:D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 16:52 »
I prefer GW when Adam Frost id presenting, not keen on Monty tbh  ::)
Plenty of good old gardening programmes they could be showing, apart from old GWs eg I remember liking a series by Christine Walkden a few years ago ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 17:31 »
yes what happened to Christine Walkden haven't seen her on the TV for ages and your rite Mum they where well worth watching  it would be nice to see those  series re-run again better than some of the tosh that's dished up thank god for the channel changer

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 22:33 »
Christine is still out there.  I met her years ago when she came to do a talk somewhere where I was working. She is just like she is on tv. An absolute gem  :)

http://www.christinewalkden.com

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 19:13 »
She's still on Gardeners' Question Time on the radio.

Another Geoff Hamilton fan here.  I agree that the series should run a bit longer - at least until, say, the end of November.  There's so much to do that gets missed, which may be alright for experienced gardeners, but not for newbies - who may not realise that there's stuff they should be doing.

The Beechgrove's pretty good for that - but I'm sure it's shorter than it used to be.  ISTR the programmes used to give advice about putting tools away etc.  Or is that just me?

Also think they ought to do repeats of general gardening programmes.  As well as GW, Geoff did several series about making gardens from scratch eg Ornamental Kitchen Garden (got the DVDs) and there was also a series on the Victorian Kitchen Garden, plus 2 others.

Some have been repeated, I know.  Again, it may just be me, but it feels as if newer programmes have been dumbed down.

GraciesGran

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 07:04 »
Basketcase, I think you'll find all TV has been dumbed down.  Would love to watch the Victorian kitchen garden again.  I also enjoyed one based on WW2 with some land army girls.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 09:05 »
Geoff did several series about making gardens from scratch eg Ornamental Kitchen Garden (got the DVDs) and there was also a series on the Victorian Kitchen Garden, plus 2 others.
I managed to record the Victorian Kitchen Garden the last time it was shown, and re-watched a few over the weekend  :blush:
I have a few of the Geoff Hamilton series on dvd as well, for when the mood takes me  ;)

As for modern GW I do record it, but seem to FF through most of it nowadays  ::)

xx
Wales is Closed for a couple of hours

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 17:16
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 55 queries.