moving an apple tree???

• 6 Replies

Rowan

• Experienced Member
moving an apple tree???
« on: October 19, 2009, 13:39 »
i have a small apple tree about 5.5ft tall with 5 thinnish brances, it curretnly sits right in the way in my font garden, how do apple trees respond to being moved? also whats a good diameter to dig around such a small tree?

Thanks

Leedsniner

• Experienced Member
Re: moving an apple tree???
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 15:54 »
How long has the tree been in it's present position? I dug up an apple tree after 3 years, put it in a large pot for 2 years then replanted. In it's first year in it's new position it has produced it's first fruit, ever.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 16:08 »
I would leave it about another month at least before moving it if possable. Leave as much of the root in tact and leave as much soil round the roots as you can.  Should be fine ;)
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 16:17 »
I'm sure you can move it but wait till it's dormant over the late Autumn/Winter and make sure the new position is right (don't want to move it again for a while) with plenty of manure and compost/fertilizer and a good watering-in when planting. You may need to stake it if the ground is too soft and you're in a windy area. Try with a fork to find out how big the rootball is, then you can dig round. You should give it a prune so it will grow away in the Spring.
I've got to move a couple of 4 year old fruit trees myself.....they're in the way of my  washing line!!!! ::)

savbo

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 16:24 »
just another pointer - wind, especially cold wind, is a real danger for fine roots - choose a day when it's not going to dry the roots as fast, move as quickly as possible, wet the roots if they look at all dry, and soak the plants in well to try to close up any air pockets left after planting.

I note Kew now recommend shallower planting without the addition of organic matter to the pit - first encourages roots to penetrate the soil rather than staying within a soft pit, second reduces the chance of a wet sump developing as the organic matter decomposes...

M

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 16:56 »
I have heard that you can dig a circle around the tree to cut the roots at the edge, then leave it for a bit (not sure how long - guess a fortnight) then dig up the rootball. I guess the cut roots start to heal then the later dig isn't as traumatic. They say that the roots extend out as much as a tree is tall but I should think that at 51/2 foot tall you could get away with a 3-4 foot diameter circle, depending on how much tree with root ball you can lift!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 17:47 »
Agree with all the others, just want to add that you should ensure that the planting hole is ready before you start digging the tree up, and I'd probably add some fish blood and bone (or at least bonemeal) when planting.

And water loads and loads and loads for the first year after planting - even if it doesn't really look as though it might need it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Moving an Apple Tree

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 18:21
by DanielCoffey
xx
moving apple tree?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 09:59
by 3759allen
xx
Moving an Apple Tree

Started by MidlandBrewer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2017, 18:20
by MidlandBrewer
xx
moving an apple tree

Started by 3 allotments on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 09:36
by 3 allotments

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 28 queries.