family apple tree

• 7 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
family apple tree
« on: September 25, 2012, 17:31 »
I'm thinking about getting a family apple tree to replace the two dessert apples that I have, and have never done very well.  Also the apples they produced weren't particularly tasty.
So I wondered if anybody on here had experience of the family apple trees (dessert varieties and cookers grafted on the one stem).
 I have limited space and would have to plant them in or near the same ground as the old ones currently are.
Are there any no-nos about planting in the same place ?(I would naturally dig it and enrich it before planting the new tree)

I also need varieties which will thrive in northerly climes.

Any advice?
Anne

Trillium

Re: family apple tree
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27 »
Generally it's not advisable to replant the same type of tree in the same spot due to dormant diseases particular to that tree that can come alive with the new tree.

You can plant near the existing trees, but if you're that short of space, the usual advice is to dig a big hole at least 2 foot deep and replace all the soil with that of another part of the garden that didn't have apple trees before. Enrich the new soil with manure, compost, etc to ensure the new tree does well.

I'm not familiar with UK tree varieties so can't give any variety recommendations.

SG6

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 13:05 »
The problem is that often 1 of the varieties is more vigerous then the others and it begins to take over, or one is weak and dies back and perishes.

The problem is getting the 3 options in balance.

If one is the bramley cooker then this is a triploid and is vigerous. Pruning can/will just cause it to respond with more growth. You really would need to check on the varieties grafted and make sure that all are similar for growth.

Rootstock will depend on the size you want, M9 being about a 10ft tree/bush. However if you want a decent crop then you may need M26 or MM108 for the additional vigor.

Main thing to be sure of is that none of the options are triploid's and so too strong for the rest to compete with.

Have you considered the columnar apples from Ken Muir?
I have one that is a cooker, 8 ft tall and I get 8-10 fair sized apples off of it.
Agreed not a large crop but they remain basically an 8 ft stick and take up little space.
No idea how the eaters fare, I assume similar.

If really keen then I think that Brogdale will "construct" a family apple for you if you specify what you want.

Will say one thing - avoid Cox. It has a good flavor but needs attention from blossom to harvest.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 18:37 »
What attention does a cox need? I bought one last year and had one small apple off it this year. I also have a bramley, and you are right, they are vigorous. I also have a ballerina tree. It produces a good crop most years. We did not prune it very well so it has about 4-5 vertical branches, but does not take up much room.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 19:30 »
Coxes do not do well in northern locations so I'd avoid that variety in any event.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 20:54 »
The tree I am leaning toward is Discovery/Johngrieve/sunset(like a cox but easier it says),  I hadn't thought about a columnar, I'll have a look.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:15 »
The tree I am leaning toward is Discovery/Johngrieve/sunset(like a cox but easier it says),  I hadn't thought about a columnar, I'll have a look.
good old fashioned cordons traine yp a wall or over and arch ect
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:01 »
I have recommended this man before, but he is able to grow you the exact tree that you want, you may have to wait a while, as I know that some are definitely grown to order. (He has a tree growing with fourteen varieties on one tree! I thought that was incredible, but is apparantly not many compared with world records!). His enthusiasm and knowledge are unbeatable. He would certainly be able to grow you a balanced tree, suited to your area and tastes that would stay small. :)

http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/apple80.html

xx
where/when to buy Family apple tree

Started by joyce c on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 16:04
by joyce c
xx
family apple and family pear trees

Started by clifford149 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 15:07
by WG.
xx
Family Apple Trees

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 06:59
by jonewer
xx
family apple trees and rootstock?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 00:47
by pushrod

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 30 queries.