Saving tomato seed for next year

• 31 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Saving tomato seed for next year
« on: July 24, 2015, 14:52 »
I'm growing Shirley variety this year, among others. Looking very good at the moment, but very expensive seed.

Anything to stop me saving dried seed for next year? Will it run true to type?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving tomato seed for next year
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 14:57 »
It's an F1 variety, so they won't run true to type - you wouldn't be the first to experiment with second generation F1 saved seeds though!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 15:00 »
Seed saved from f1 plants do not grow true, so you wouldn't get anything exactly the same  :(

Quite reasonable to buy

on ebay link

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 16:28 »
Thanks, folks. Dobie's will score yet again...

jambop

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 19:02 »
They may not grow to type but don't let that put you off ... you could get an even better offspring than the parent !!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 19:30 »
Then again you may waste greenhouse space, and time, growing tomatoes that really aren't worth it!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15 »
So far, many of the 'Sungold' from last year's saved seed, which we planted in the open down on The Patch, have retained the looks, yield, habit and flavour of their 'parents'. I'm trying a dozen or so, to see what happens!

The fruits are slightly smaller, but that's probably because they're not getting the water as well as the true ones we have growing at home, both in the greenhouse and outside.

The 'Marmande' and 'Black Krim' are all from last year's seed too, as are the 'Gardener's Delight', but these last ones are not that fantastic, so it'll be new seed next year!

I'll also be saving the 'Crimson Crush' as well, as I may be wrong, but I expect the new 'gene' arrangement to be passed on that way!

jambop

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:44 »
Then again you may waste greenhouse space, and time, growing tomatoes that really aren't worth it!

Very true mum! I tend to make suggestions without thinking that the tomatoes will be grown in a greenhouse because all my tomatoes are grown out doors. That is part of the reason I have little qualms about saving seed as I have lots of room in the garden to grow tomatoes ( 50 plants this year) and other veg that need to be protected from the cold. I am this season for example growing peppers from seed saved from some peppers we bought at the supermarket. They were bulls horn type and I thought why not try to save the seed.. they look to be doing well and are just beginning to produce fruit... could be interesting :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:50 by jambop »

jambop

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:01 »
The 'Marmande' and 'Black Krim' are all from last year's seed too, as are the 'Gardener's Delight', but these last ones are not that fantastic, so it'll be new seed next year!

I'll also be saving the 'Crimson Crush' as well, as I may be wrong, but I expect the new 'gene' arrangement to be passed on that way!

Marmande etc should be ok to save seed as they are very old open pollenated varieties are they not? I think the fact they are not doing well is more likely down to the growing conditions ?

The crimson crush... is not genetically modified is it ? I think it is a selection which shows some resistance to blight will more than likely not grow true to type... but possibly worth a try if you have the room.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:53 »
I've already raised questions about how many of these F1 seeds really are or need to be F1's.

Good luck trying to find seeds in the crimson crush growster, there were hardly any in the fruit I cut open, it's nearly time to try another one so I'll see if that's as empty too.

jambop

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 13:18 »
I am sceptical of the true value of F1 hybrid seed for the common gardener to be honest. The true value of F1 is for the producer who wants everything the same a heavy crop and all to come ripe at the same time and real flavour an after thought... none of which is required by the common gardener or allotmenteer . The well known old varieties are what make real sense for the home producer... bags of flavour, decent crops which ripen gradually and give a long season of harvest.. and with most you can save the seed being happy that you will get something very similar to what you have just enjoyed back the next season F1 is just a way of the seedsmen to get a good load of their production cost back from an easy source... the little fella's who need half a dozen plants for the greenhouse but that is just my take on F1. I do have one exception though and that is the value of F1 onion seed the best onions I have ever grown were F1 and there the value of all being the same and coming ripe at the same time really makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 13:25 by jambop »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 13:57 »
I've tried, on average, 3 or 4 Heritage varieties a year for the last 7 years. There are only about 4 that I have grown again, because growth or taste on the others were poor.

I have come to the conclusion that most were first grown in different/warmer conditions than I can provide :(
I've decided to try only 1 new variety a year, as it seems a waste of limited greenhouse space, otherwise. Allotment tomatoes always get blight, which is why we have such high hopes for the newly developed Crimson Crush, yet to be tasted though  ::)

Perhaps you have more success with the Heritage ones in your climate, but it's a struggle to get a good crop here, which is why some people rely on the hybrid vigour of f1s - some of which do taste really good, or we wouldn't grow them repeatedly, would we  ;)

jambop

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 14:38 »
Good point mum the weather is that bit warmer over our way and we definitely get what I call a longer summer. We do get problems with the dreaded blight though and I have to spray with the old B mix from time to time.  If I only had three tomato varieties to grow though it would be Marmande, San Marzano and Coeur de boeuf all non F1 and all taste amazing. The only problem I have is getting stakes long enough to get the trusses on... thinking of making some sort of frame work for next year!

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 09:35 »
Oh to have such problems Jambop!    WE often have difficulty having enough heat to ripen many in the unheated greenhouse, never mind we are still the home of the Jamboes.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

LotuSeed

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 14:51 »
Jambop I use 8-9 foot bamboo canes that are 1-2in in diameter and hammered into the ground a good foot. The bamboo grows in my garden so sourcing it isn't a problem.

I grow mostly heirloom varieties. There's only one that I'm growing this year that isn't technically an heirloom, but it's still open pollinated.

I think growing out F1s could be a fun endeavor, but considering the amount of seasons, and space it would require, it may not be practical if you don't have the right climate for them to really flourish. 
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
clip
Saving tomato seed

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2019, 05:24
by Dev
xx
Saving tomato seed

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 16:24
by poodle
xx
Saving F1 tomato seed

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 07:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 38 queries.