Where to plant seeds....

• 14 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Where to plant seeds....
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:53 »
I am writing myself a calendar if which seeds I should plant when and when I should transfer them etc as a rough guide.

I am using a book by Alan Titchmarsh and another by Joy Larkcom as a guide. One thing I am getting confused about is that they often say to plant seeds in an outdoor seedbed, and then transplant at a later date. I don't have the space for a specific seedbed so am I better off

A) sowing the seeds in the bed where they will be growing
B) growing them indoors, hardening off and then transplanting
C) planting them in seed trays/modules on the balcony (we are top floor so plenty of light but can be windy) and taking the trays down to the allotment when they are ready to be transferred

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Where to plant seeds....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58 »
Many of the veg recommended for sowing in a seed bed actually benefit from replanting when larger: all the brassicas and leeks are good examples of this.
These can all be sown in modules or deep trays, and grown on to planting out size. They need plenty of light and do not need extra warmth. Your balcony sounds the best bet, although they need a bit of shelter from the wind.

Some do not appreciate being moved and so are best sown where they will grow ie carrots and parsnips

Others need to start indoors if you are to get a decent crop, as they have a longer growing time than our climate provides ie tomatoes, chillis, celeriac etc. These need warmth to germinate, and good light.

Hope that helps

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 13:00 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 13:08 »
Hi,

Yes it is the brassicas and leeks I am looking at. I didn't know that they benefited from being planted on - I thought it might have been a space issue. And that having a seedbed meant your main beds were free for other things. Now I know that I will go down the balcony route - thanks!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 13:22 »
You're very welcome

When you plant out your brassicas, they need good solid soil and be 'puddled in' ie lots of water in the hole firt, up to their lowest proper leaves.

Leeks of course go in a hole, and are watered in

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 13:26 »
Useful to know - I will note that down as I don't remember reading that anywhere!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 13:51 »

Leeks of course go in a hole, and are watered in

Useful to know - I will note that down as I don't remember reading that anywhere!

you'll need a "dibber" for the hole, pop the leeklet into the hole but don't back fill with soil  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 13:55 »
Make sure you keep an eye on the watering - windy conditions on the balcony will dry the compost out a lot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 13:57 »
It's worth remembering that there's a guide to growing just about everything on this site.

Here's the one for leeks:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/vegetables/leeks
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 15:30 »
Make sure you keep an eye on the watering - windy conditions on the balcony will dry the compost out a lot.

Yes, I grew strawberries and Toms quite well on the balcony last year but I had to water daily.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 16:57 »

Others need to start indoors if you are to get a decent crop, as they have a longer growing time than our climate provides ie tomatoes, chillis, celeriac etc. These need warmth to germinate, and good light.

Chilli and tomato seeds do not need light to germinate. They need moisture and differing degrees of warmth

Seed beds are a throwback to a bygone age of commercial or kitchen-garden growing. Starting your seeds in modules or seed trays is a more controlled way of replicating them. Inconveniences of this are the potting on and hardening off processes but if you have the time and means to do them you will not be at a disadvantage

I use peat-free jiffy 7s to start a lot of seeds off including chard, kale, spinach and a few others. You can plant these straight out so there is no need to pot on atall

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 22:57 »
It's quite amazing that books are still talking about seedbeds. There must be very few gardeners nowadays who bother with such things and the use of trays/modules is almost universal for the simple reason that you have far more control. Even forty-odd years ago when I worked for a big country house most seeds were sown in trays in the greenhouses/frames and then potted on.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 17:46 »
I did wonder! It confused me as I hadnt seen any mention online. They are both published in the past couple of years bu I guess they are older gardeners who prefer more traditional techniques? I don't know.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 18:32 »
I've been compiling a list of plants for my allotment shop and when reading the growing instructions from the seed people, a lot of them say sow in a seedbed. I wondered at that and whether anybody still does that.  Everybody I know starts things off in trays and modules.
Anne

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 18:34 »
They tell you to sow in seed beds so that you use more seed!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 19:27 »
Ah - now that makes more sense! It is all about making money....

xx
seeds I got to plant out

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 20:38
by billathome65
question
which seeds to plant now

Started by art guy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 07:24
by art guy
xx
Can you plant carrot seeds to deep

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 08:58
by Carrot Man
xx
dismal onion seeds again-when to plant out?

Started by gardgydja on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 23:00
by Jome

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.