Growing Fruit and Veg in pots.

• 1 Replies

fatfei

Growing Fruit and Veg in pots.
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:10 »
Hi,
How do you know what depth pot you need for growing your different fruits and veg?

I only want to grown in pots and not in the ground.

Thanks in adv.

Fei

SG6

Re: Growing Fruit and Veg in pots.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:00 »
Basically the bigger the pot the better.
I tend to grow potatoes and carrots in pots and these are around 20-24" high. Didn't pick them that was simply the size they came. ???

If you were to try parsnips then choose the shorter varieties of parsnip. They have a long tap root. Garlics would probably be OK in a 6-8 inch deep trough, maybe onions also.

Tomato's are OK in a pot and I would therefore say peppers also.

If you choose the stumpy carrots then I guess that shorter pots are an option.

It is a bit of a balance between price and size as although made of plastic and moulded the bigger they are they still cost what seems to be disproportunately more.

Bought mine when they were both reduced and being offered at 3 for 2. The last ones I bought were not in the garden area of Wilkinsons but in the storage. Bigger, stronger and with handles and half the cost of a "garden" pot. :D :D

Simple reason to get as big as sensible is that they dry out slower so less bother to you. Remember that if you use potting compost then you will have to add feed of some sort during the growing.

As to fruit: Strawberry's, raspberry's but you would have to split thin them after a few years (get Autumn ones - easier) they will need a reasonable depth and size. A blackcurrant bush should be a possibility. Cannot call many fruits to mind. Blueberry's - big pot and acid compost and always rainwater. Ignoring the fruit trees as you need dwarfing rootstock, you would need as big a pot as possible always, probably one that is placed and not moved owing to its size.

Depends on what you can get. My potato pots are about 20" across and 24" high and they are moveable, much bigger and it starts getting difficult, smaller and probably not worth doing. (3 potato's to a pot).

xx
Growing fruit trees in pots

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 14:15
by I Love Spuds
xx
Successful growing of fruit trees in pots advice please!

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 13:23
by Kristen
xx
Anyone had any luck growing "balcony" fruit trees in pots

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:14
by chrisnchris
xx
Fruit trees in pots?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 04:05
by muntjac

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 38 queries.