No room left!

• 25 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Re: No room left!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 19:27 »
I agree the plot looks fantastic especially the chickens I would love chickens but we are not allowed.

One question though where did you get those large blue tubey things they look like something I could do with :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 19:32 »
We have one bed left empty and thats only because its not in yet, its the last bed on our second plot.

I am worried as I dont have all the bits in yet, I am looking at my driveway with increasing interest  ???

Beetroot queen

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 19:35 »
ps missed the second page we have walkways too but you can plant closer in raised beds, so the wise ones say  :tongue2: :lol:

anyone want a piccy (yes yes I know the answer already, I am like a mother with a new baby even on year two I am still sad ) :mellow:

Christine

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 06:52 »
Elcie - where are the weeds?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Such lovely pictures and not one of the dratted things in sight.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13 »
ps missed the second page we have walkways too but you can plant closer in raised beds, so the wise ones say  :tongue2: :lol:

Why can you plant closer in raised beds? Didn't realise this and have stuck to the ordinary spacing guidelines in  my raised beds!! Does this mean I can fit something else in between rows? ???

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 08:39 »

Also full a while back, but leeks are going in after first earlies come out...though they are getting rather big and the first earlies haven't flowered yet!

I was lucky - a neighbour heard me grumbling about space, and offered me the "end" (about a quarter) of her plot, which I eagerly dug over and filled up! Now just sweetcorn and squashes to go in the last little bed there and I'm done.

Hmm, maybe less paths next year? I was "paths and raised beds" last year -  this year, almost none, a single path up the middle, and odd little paths or stepping stones, cos I want to use as much of the land as possible...and I have greatly increased what I planted over last year. Probably doesn't look as ordered though...but will taste better!!

Phill  :) :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10 »
Why can you plant closer in raised beds? Didn't realise this and have stuck to the ordinary spacing guidelines in  my raised beds!! Does this mean I can fit something else in between rows?

Because you don't have to leave space to walk between your crops, you can plant with the same distance between the rows as are recommended for within the rows. eg instead of 12 between plants and 18 ins between rows, plant them 12 ins apart all round   :D
This assumes your beds have improved soil and you add enough fertiliser during the year

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32 »
Why can you plant closer in raised beds? Didn't realise this and have stuck to the ordinary spacing guidelines in  my raised beds!! Does this mean I can fit something else in between rows?

Because you don't have to leave space to walk between your crops, you can plant with the same distance between the rows as are recommended for within the rows. eg instead of 12 between plants and 18 ins between rows, plant them 12 ins apart all round   :D
This assumes your beds have improved soil and you add enough fertiliser during the year

Ah! I seem to have done that anyway without thinking about it - however, there are times when my arms are just not long enough!!! My raised beds are up against a brick wall so I can only access one of them from three sides and the others I have to put bricks to act as stepping stones! I also stupidly put my strawberries to the front of the raised bed and now they are netted it is difficult to reach over them. Doh!  :blush:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32 »
Why can you plant closer in raised beds? Didn't realise this and have stuck to the ordinary spacing guidelines in  my raised beds!! Does this mean I can fit something else in between rows?

Because you don't have to leave space to walk between your crops, you can plant with the same distance between the rows as are recommended for within the rows. eg instead of 12 between plants and 18 ins between rows, plant them 12 ins apart all round   :D
My paths have more or less disappeared! I had a path between the potatoes - they've grown over it!  I can see the same happening in the courgette/squash area too.   Even the ones I had were less than a foot wide.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Livinhope

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 13:39 »
I agree the plot looks fantastic especially the chickens I would love chickens but we are not allowed.

One question though where did you get those large blue tubey things they look like something I could do with :D

I understood that, historically chickens and rabbits had to be allowed because they were regarded as food.  I believe in Joe Swifts' book on allotments he details the law on keeping certain animals on allotments.

Re the blue tubes they are made from water pipe available from most diy stores, the beauty is they can be cut to any length you find convenient.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 14:05 »
Thanks Livinhope

xx
Not enough room!

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:15
by HLS
xx
how much room do i need?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 22:17
by Sheena
xx
what should i do with this little bit of room?

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 02:58
by leeky
xx
I've run out of room

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 19:24
by Eightball

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 30 queries.