No room left!

• 25 Replies

Elcie

No room left!
« on: June 04, 2010, 22:46 »
We finally got to the point today where we have filled up every available bed at the allotment.  This would be fine but I still haven't sown the swedes yet or planted this year's leeks!  How is everyone else doing?  Did you fill up ages ago or do you still have some space to fill?

Plot 34 (our first one):

and Plot 30 (our second one):

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
Re: No room left!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 22:48 »
Isn't it wonderful? Things finally in the garden and thriving.

Do you have new potatoes in? Can you plant your leeks in the space they will provide. That's my plan.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 23:18 »
i'm with u irene waiting for 1st spuds to come out and plonk my leeks in!!

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:28 »
Problem for me is that my potatoes are all in buckets!  The leeks are in a cat litter tray at the moment (thanks for the tip DD!) and are doing ok but can wait a bit until they are tranplanted.  Maybe they will have to go in pots too!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:28 »
Yes me too!  I planted the last of my brasiscas out last week, cages all full....

... and then realise I have still got some PSB to put out and I wanted to pop a couple of sprouts plants in from my neighbour.  Currently trying to work out what extra space I could find.... I wonder if I could put sprouts in with my squashes :-)

Leeks are still in their trays waiting for a space to become available.  Not sure where that will be ... onions, first earlies???
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:34 »
filled up on bank holiday monday

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:28 »
It looks very neat & tidy!!
This is not a dig  :wub: or anything but haven't you lost alot of growing space with the walkways?
Couldn't you increase the size of some of your bed so you can grow more?

Like i said not a dig or anything so please don't take it that way!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03 »
Just my thoughts as well Craig :)

Elcie, it looks really beautiful, so no, it's definitely not a dig at you :D
It depends whether you want a thing of beauty or maximum growing space, we all have to decide which is best  8)

My beds are nearly full but I inherited a lot of wide (4ft!) grass paths.....some of these will get dug up this winter. I want some room for pretties as well and I only have a 3 perch plot :(

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 12:02 »
I agree with you there are some wide spaces, but I did want it to look nice too so it is my own fault!  I was also told by a fellow allotmenteer not to put them too close together as she had and it was quite uncomfortable to walk around.  Some areas are quite close, but others have extra space.  The biggest bit that you can see is where we put the BBQ when we have one down the plot, quite regularly at the moment, and I usually plonk some pots in spaces.

I didn't take it the wrong way honestly  :D

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56 »
You could put the leeks in the corner of one of those beds until the summer crops have gone, and sow the swedes in a row, again along the edge of one of those beds and transplant to final positions later on.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 13:42 »
I know what you mean Elcie- I have one bed left that's not dug, but I just don't have time until the Autumn to dig it over. I decided to bung my leeks in yesterday where i was going to sow carrots & beets, they couldn't really wait any longer. I'll sow Autumn King instead of chantenay when the first of the spuds come up, and the beets should be OK into November, they'll just be a bit smaller than normal!  As for Kale & PSB - I haven't even sown them yet :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 14:48 »
Mine were all full ages ago and I've since put up 3 extra raised beds to take the overflow. I'm trying very hard to not buy any very interesting veg, like the Purple Cherokee tom I bought today  ::)

Zippy

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 14:29 »
Now imagine packing all those plants into a half plot!

Yabba

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 18:20 »
Now imagine packing all those plants into a half plot!

Keep up, she's [Elcie, not the cats mother] already packed them into half a plot ;)

This is not a dig  :wub: or anything but haven't you lost alot of growing space with the walkways?

I didn't take it the wrong way honestly  :D

Looks nice, but ... ;)

¥

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 18:36 »
Elcie your plot looks absolutely beautiful.  :)

I agree that you have quite a lot of space taken up with pretty paths. But I also agree with your fellow allotmenteer about the danger of having too little path space, I have made that mistake with my 13' by 4' beds which have paths of less than 18" inbetween. Fortunately i do have wider paths running across

I would sit back and enjoy the beauty and put what you can of the excess in pots. A suggestion for next year's plot, you could join up a couple of beds here and there, that would give you more planting room next year without losing the lovely paths and wonderful cottage/potager feel of your plot.

xx
Not enough room!

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:15
by HLS
xx
how much room do i need?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 22:17
by Sheena
xx
what should i do with this little bit of room?

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 02:58
by leeky
xx
I've run out of room

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 19:24
by Eightball

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 30 queries.